PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Flash-Player for Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala?

Akatsuki26
February 5th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I just don't understand how to install the flashplayer, so I can watch Youtube videos and play Flash games...

I am a COMPLETE beginner, so please go easy on me and try to understand...

One guy told me to write this code in the terminal:

"sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree"

That's what I did, but then I got this as a response:

[sudo] password for "myname": (I entered it here)
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

Can anyone help? How can I finally install it?

Thanks a lot!

techno-mole
February 5th, 2010, 10:53 AM
is synaptic or the update manager running ?

you can always download the flashplayer for ubuntu from here - http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP from the drop down box select the .deb option and download it to your home directory or desktop.

once its downloaded just double click it and follow the instructions, it will ask for you password at some point, just enter it and press enter.

cheers

Akatsuki26
February 5th, 2010, 11:28 AM
After I go on the site and click on the .deb version, it asks me with which program I want to download the file..

what do I choose?

Thanks!

NikoC
February 5th, 2010, 11:39 AM
The following link might help you out (it's quite easy):
tutorial (http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2009/10/31/install-flash-and-multimedia-support-on-ubuntu-9-10-karmic-koala/)

techno-mole
February 5th, 2010, 03:01 PM
@ Akatsuki26 - if you have followed the instructions given in the posted link then don't worry about this.

but don't try and open the file, just save it to your pc first, eg in your home folder or on your desktop, or where ever firefox (assuming you are using firefox) save downloads by default.

once its downloaded then go to where the file is (eg your home folder) and double click it, then follow the instructions.

personally I would do things this way, I used to install the restricted extras, but found it didnt really help much.

cheers

no2498
February 5th, 2010, 11:53 PM
does he not need the jre6 too ?

warfacegod
February 5th, 2010, 11:56 PM
If restricted extras is enabled and I think it is by default in 9.10 then running the .deb should automatically pull in any of the dependencies.