PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless Disabled :S

HerNameMeansPearl
February 5th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Hello!

I have Ubuntu 9.10 on my hp g60 519, and I have yet to connect to the internet wirelessly . . .

My internet was disconnected for a few days, and in that time, I could connect to the router, but since I have internet again, I can't. I can connect on a wired network, but when I click the networking applet, it says wireless disabled.

Very new to linux, but don't want to go back to windows. Please help.

Meghan

nhasian
February 5th, 2010, 02:09 AM
did you accidentally bump the hardware switch for the wifi adaptor on the front of your notebook? make sure its in the on position.

If its on and you still cant connect, give us the output of this terminal command:

lshw -C network

warfacegod
February 5th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Try right clicking the network icon in the Notification Area on your panel and make sure there is an x next to Enable wireless.

danwosere2007
February 5th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Like the dude above me suggested, possible wireless button maybe? Also on this netbook FN and F something enabled or disabled wi-fi also. Have you ever had wireless working at all? Another suggestion might be checking out your bios settings, wi-fi can be disabled/enabled from there...I had fun and games with my netbook (samsung n130) ended up having to get some drivers, and then that seemed to do the job...G

HerNameMeansPearl
February 5th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Wow. I feel retarded. I hit the wifi button and it connected :/

Thanks guys, sorry.

Leppie
February 5th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Two birds, one stone.
4 birds, 1 stone... :P

danwosere2007
February 5th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Haha 2 birds one stone, crazy trick shot ricocheting off about 5 walls, more like. At the risk of sounding like an uneducated heathen, whats mythbuntu man? variant o/s to ubuntu? I know there are different flavours of linux, but whats the purpose of them? Different ones for developers/programmers e.t.c. Or just like different "schemes" on a mobile phone for example?

warfacegod
February 5th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Haha 2 birds one stone, crazy trick shot ricocheting off about 5 walls, more like. At the risk of sounding like an uneducated heathen, whats mythbuntu man? variant o/s to ubuntu? I know there are different flavours of linux, but whats the purpose of them? Different ones for developers/programmers e.t.c. Or just like different "schemes" on a mobile phone for example?

Mythbuntu is Xubuntu and MythTV packaged together. MythTV is a Media Center. It turns your computer into one pretty righteous Home entertainment system, assuming you have the right hardware. DVD player, DVR, TV, Radio (I think), etc.

http://www.mythbuntu.org/

Leppie
February 5th, 2010, 04:24 AM
At the risk of sounding like an uneducated heathen, whats mythbuntu man? variant o/s to ubuntu? I know there are different flavours of linux, but whats the purpose of them? Different ones for developers/programmers e.t.c. Or just like different "schemes" on a mobile phone for example?
different needs, different distro ;)