PDA

View Full Version : Little firewall problem... (debian)

jargs
February 5th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Hello,

I am trying to setup a webserver, i'm on debian. I have inserted these rules into the iptables:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 21 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 25 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -j DROP

So basically I want to close all of my other ports and keep those ones open for the web services (ssh, smtp, http, ftp). These rules seem to work alright for SSH and Apache, but for some reason the FTP and SMTP services are being blocked by the firewall. I am using PostFix mail server and ProFTPd. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have only recently started using Linux again and need to brush up on my knowledge... :)

bodhi.zazen
February 5th, 2010, 01:17 AM
For FTP you probably need to open port 20 as well.

The mail server can be harder, check what ports it uses and some ISP block such traffic.

MoRoBoShi
February 5th, 2010, 01:19 AM
For FTP you probably need to open port 20 as well.

holy words bodhi.zazen..!!;)

jargs
February 5th, 2010, 09:28 AM
still not working after opening port 20...

jargs
February 5th, 2010, 02:01 PM
and it is deffinately not an isp problem because the server is in a datacenter... I just need a simple webserver firewall setup that will allow me to use the services i mentioned

bodhi.zazen
February 5th, 2010, 05:03 PM
and it is deffinately not an isp problem because the server is in a datacenter... I just need a simple webserver firewall setup that will allow me to use the services i mentioned

Does it work if you flush your rules ?

jargs
February 5th, 2010, 05:41 PM
yes it works when i flush

mick_dundee
February 5th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Depending on the rest of your iptables setup, you may need to add OUTPUT rules for that particular traffic. In my case I added FORWARD rules also as I have set iptables to drop INPUT, OUTPUT and FORWARD packets by default.

jargs
February 5th, 2010, 06:25 PM
my output table is empty though, those rules i listed above are the only ones i have. would i still need to add output rules even if the chain is empty?

mick_dundee
February 5th, 2010, 06:30 PM
It's worth trying - you can remove them immediately if they don't work. The way it looks at the moment is that inbound requests are accepted but the reply to those requests aren't being sent out over the public interface (therefore not being received by the client). Or private interface if it's an internal test machine.

Remember and change --dport to --sport for the outbound rules.

jargs
February 5th, 2010, 06:42 PM
i added these rules

iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 20 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 21 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 25 -j ACCEPT

then added the drop rule after

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -j DROP

and it still doesn't work :(

bodhi.zazen
February 5th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Can yo upost the output of
iptables -L -v

jargs
February 5th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 1437K packets, 1993M bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
4050 310K ACCEPT tcp -- any any anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:ssh
752 39200 ACCEPT tcp -- any any anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:ftp
1268K 327M ACCEPT tcp -- any any anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:www
19 2985 ACCEPT tcp -- any any anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:smtp
0 0 ACCEPT tcp -- any any anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:ftp-data
3480 211K DROP tcp -- any any anywhere anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 2550K packets, 1460M bytes)

The Cog
February 6th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Try adding this rule to get printing working again:

iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT

and this one to allow responses to outgoing connections (which may fix your FTP problems):

iptables -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

jargs
February 6th, 2010, 12:37 AM
won't that accept connections on every port though??

jargs
February 6th, 2010, 02:10 PM
and what do you mean printing? I am using this as a webserver.

CharlesA
February 6th, 2010, 03:20 PM
won't that accept connections on every port though??

Accepting everything that come in on the lo interface is fine, since it's the loopback interface and not accessible to the outside world.

jargs
February 6th, 2010, 04:57 PM
but what about this one:

won't that accept things from all ports?

The Cog
February 6th, 2010, 05:49 PM
but what about this one:

won't that accept things from all ports?

It will accept all packets that are on already established connections or related to already established connections. Examples are:

1: An incoming FTP connection to port 21 will be accepted by your rule that accepts FTP. Any further packets on the same connection will be accepted by this rule because the connection is already established. Actually, you will never notice the difference here because if this rule wasn't there, the accept FTP rule would allow the packet in anyway.

2: An FTP data connection trying to transfer data on port 20, as requested by the FTP control connection established in paragraph 1 above. FTP uses separate connectons for control messages and data transfer. Without the RELATED rule, the actual data transfer couldn't happen although you could log in to the FTP server without problem. But by looking at the FTP control connection, the firelwall knows that the the connection on port 20 is related to an established FTP connection on port 21, and allows the connection through.

3: An outgoing connection from the server, such as perhaps a DNS name lookup request (UDP port 53) - it is the ESTABLISHED rule that allows the lookup reply back in because the outgoing name request established a connection.

As for the loopback interface, well lots of things rely on the computer being able to connect to itself. One that I know of is the print spooler. Even if you were just trying to print your server logs to a locally connected USB printer, it wouldn't work unless the computer could connect to itself because printing involves having the printing application (lpr, gedit, whatever) making a connection to the print spooling service on TCP port 631. This isn't a security issue because by default the spooler service only listens on the loopback address, which can't be connected to by other machines. But it does mean that too restrictive a local firewall rule will stop printing from working, amongst other things that I can't think of right now.

jargs
February 6th, 2010, 06:44 PM
when i used that rule i ran "netstat -nan | grep 22" and it said this:

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

doesn't this mean all ports are open?

and why doesn't it work when i use rules like this:

iptables -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -p tcp --dport 21 -j ACCEPT

?

The Cog
February 6th, 2010, 07:23 PM
No - all that line tells you is that port 22 (SSH) is open. You filtered all the other netstat lines out with grep, so you can't tell what other ports are open.

On top of that, we were talking about firewalls. Netstat won't tell you what ports are blocked or not blocked by the firewall, so even ports that are open might be blocked by the firewall and therefore not possible to connect to.

and why doesn't it work when i use rules like this:

iptables -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -p tcp --dport 21 -j ACCEPT
Sorry, why doesn't what work?
And that's not the line I said to try.

EDIT
Actually, it occurs to me to wonder why you are trying to mess around with a firewall at all. What are you trying to achieve with your firewall?

You say you want the ssh, smtp, http, and ftp service open to the public. What other services are you running - what are you trying to block? Unless you are running other services (such as VNC) that you know you want to prevent public access to, then you don't need a firewall at all.

The command
netstat -lntu will show what services/ports are actually open.