PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Wireless Network Help!

misanthropica
February 5th, 2010, 12:27 AM
My friend gave me an old Presario 2100 laptop with Ubuntu 9.10 already loaded. My wife was using the computer to search the internet and she let the battery completely die. When I plugged it in and tried to start it back up, it kept freezing up, so I re-installed Ubuntu and now it's working again; however, now I can't connect to my wireless network. I'm completely new to Ubuntu, and my router is obviously working because I'm typing this on my other laptop. The help page isn't much help, either. What do I do?

brawd
February 5th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Start by clicking on the network applet at the top right of the screen. A left click will show if you have detected your wireless network.
If it has then click on it to enable it. Then (I think) right click on the applet to put in your WEP number.

That's the simple stuff. See how you go.

regards,

brawd

switch10
February 5th, 2010, 12:46 AM
plug the laptop into your router via an Ethernet cable. go to system>administration>hardware drivers in Ubuntu. See if that finds your wireless drivers.

Did the laptop have Ubuntu previously installed on it?

misanthropica
February 5th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Thanks for responding. "No proprietary drivers in use on this system," was the message I received when I checked for drivers, so I'm assuming my friend loaded one before...? Where would I find a the driver I need and how do I check the card type?

Stumped,

bkratz
February 5th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Thanks for responding. "No proprietary drivers in use on this system," was the message I received when I checked for drivers, so I'm assuming my friend loaded one before...? Where would I find a the driver I need and how do I check the card type?

Stumped,

go to the terminal (Applications>>Accessories>>Terminal) and type in
lspci (that is LSPCI in lowercase). Copy/Paste the output back here for decoding or look at it yourself. this will tell what the wireless card is.

warfacegod
February 5th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Wouldn't enabling Restricted Extras, in Software Sources, be required here?

misanthropica
February 5th, 2010, 04:31 AM
go to the terminal (Applications>>Accessories>>Terminal) and type in
lspci (that is LSPCI in lowercase). Copy/Paste the output back here for decoding or look at it yourself. this will tell what the wireless card is.

Cool: Broadcom BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

Now I just need to go to the driver store, right? :)

bkratz
February 5th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Cool: Broadcom BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

Now I just need to go to the driver store, right? :)

See the second half of this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1368699
Yours is specifically mentioned as b43-legacy

misanthropica
February 5th, 2010, 11:46 PM
I'm typing this thank you message on my laptop and sending it over my wireless network. Thanks for all your help.

Sincerely,

bkratz
February 6th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I'm typing this thank you message on my laptop and sending it over my wireless network. Thanks for all your help.

Sincerely,

Congratulations! Now all that is left is to go to the thread tools and mark the thread [solved] and enjoy your wireless!