PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Starting on server type setups

brawd
February 5th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Hi,

Though I have used Ubuntu for years I've never really used it as anything more than a computer. Writing posh letters, surfing the web, backing up music, that sort of thing.

Now, however, the rest of the family each have their own computers so I have started trying to link them. Mind you, it's not that I know how to, which is why I'm posting this request.

First I networked the printers. That's OK (now). Then I set up shared files for pics and clipart. (OK as well). Now I want to set up a remote desktop, maybe from Ubuntu - Ubuntu or Ubuntu - XP, if that is possible. I go into this knowing next to nothing and will probably trash my computer and have to re-install everything before I have another go. Don't worry about that, everything important is backed up in several places.

Anyone know where the absolute beginners guide to this sort of thing is.
The machines are 1 laptop with Vista. 2 webbooks with XP. 2 Ubuntu desktops, one with 9.10 and one with 8.04.

The jargon will be hell, I know it!

regards,

brawd

Iowan
February 5th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Here (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-use-remote-desktop-in-ubuntu-810-intrepid-ibex.html) is a Remote Desktop article written for 8.10 - another (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-establish-simple-remote-desktop-access-between-ubuntu-and-windows/) for Windows-Ubuntu.

brawd
February 5th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Thanks Iowan, this looks like the place to start.

brawd

brawd
February 5th, 2010, 04:51 PM
If anyone other beginner is following this it was easy to link the two Ubuntus. Just go to system/preferences and configure remote desktop on both. To use this go to applications/internet/remote desktop and call the other computer.

For xp I installed vnc as listed at the link above by Iowan. The configuration here is not so very different from the ubuntu bit.

This now allows me to call a ubuntu from xp, but not call xp from ubuntu. I'm still working on that.

regards,

brawd.