PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] terminal noob

serkit
February 4th, 2010, 06:22 PM
i wanna start messing wit the terminal ..i was watching a friend mess wit it last night and i learned a couple commands like ls & sude make

just to start off i wanna try to go to my pictures..but im not to sure how
i tried the sudo make pictures.documents but it wouldnt let me

any help

Enigmapond
February 4th, 2010, 06:25 PM
http://www.linuxcommand.org/index.php

bkratz
February 4th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Here is another

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal?action=show&redirect=Terminal

oldos2er
February 4th, 2010, 06:40 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/basic-commands/C/

doas777
February 4th, 2010, 06:43 PM
learn the basics of navigation first (cd, ls, cat, mk/rmdir, touch, pwd, etc), and then just take it as it comes (unless you really wanna be a shell guru). the rest will come with time, exposure, and experience.

the commmand you are looking for is:
cd /home/<username>/Pictures

(replace <username> with your username).

cd is change directory, so you use it to move around from dir to dir.
ls lists the files in a directory

don't use 'sudo make' (it's sudo not sude) unless you are compiling an application package from source code. you will know when you are doing that.

steveneddy
February 4th, 2010, 07:00 PM
To navigate to your Pictures folder the command is:

cd ~/Pictures

cd means change directory

the tilde ~ means go to the Home folder

/Pictures is the name of the folder. The names of all folders must match, caps and all.

To see what's in the Pictures folder after you have navigated to Pictures in terminal, simply type

ls

to see a list of files in that folder.

BT1
February 4th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Best way to learn terminal ('m learning it too) is to make a list of all the programs and stuff that you normally use on a daily basis, and find out how to do it through terminal and not a program. Remember that many programs with an icon in Ubuntu are really programs that run commands in its own terminal off screen. So why can't you do that too? It'll take more time to type in the variables and stuff but then you'll learn the backbone of most Linux systems on the net.

When you get down what you do on a daily basis, explore the Ubuntu Software Center and see what other nifty programs are out there, and then do what you did with the stuff you normally do. Just find out how to do what those programs do. By the time you branch out into new stuff, you'll know the basics.

Have fun!

nothingspecial
February 4th, 2010, 07:50 PM
sude make

typing things incorrectly can lead to problems.

audiomick
February 4th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Do not use "rm" until you know exactly what it does.
Look at

man rm

thameera
February 4th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Best way to learn terminal ('m learning it too) is to make a list of all the programs and stuff that you normally use on a daily basis, and find out how to do it through terminal and not a program. Remember that many programs with an icon in Ubuntu are really programs that run commands in its own terminal off screen. So why can't you do that too? It'll take more time to type in the variables and stuff but then you'll learn the backbone of most Linux systems on the net.

Agree with BT1. What I did was the same. Trying to get your things done through the terminal is fun and makes you learn the terminal a lot.