PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Sharing Drive option not available

pbateman
February 4th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Hi Guys,
Quick question, I have an external harddrive which I use to backup data . Currently I am backing things form the Desktop it is physically attached to only. This is working great.
I would like to, however, share this drive so i can also backup data from my laptop.
The thing is i am able to share folders from my desktop PC, but when I try to share a drive (eg. the external drive) itself, I don't get a sharing option.
Is it possible to share this drive as a whole or do I have to share folders within it but not the entire drive itself?
I do not have any windows PC's, both laptop and desktop have Ubuntu 9.10
I thought about installing Samba but from what I understand this is so that you can create shares that can be accessed/visible by Windows machines. Since both my machines have Ubuntu is there a native way of sharing this?
Thanks!!

thatguruguy
February 4th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I use samba to share files between my desktop and my laptop, both of which use ubuntu. It seems to be the easiest way.

Monotoko
February 4th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Use this:

sudo nautilus /media

then find the mounted drive you would like to share (it will only appear in /media while its plugged in)

thatguruguy
February 4th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Use this:

sudo nautilus /mediathen find the mounted drive you would like to share (it will only appear in /media while its plugged in)

Why does he have to use sudo to do that?

Morbius1
February 4th, 2010, 05:51 PM
What is this external drive formatted in - ext3 / fat32 / ntfs ?

Who owns the mount point - root / you ?

Do an ls -dl /path-to-mount-point
So we can see who owns it and what permissions it has

mk1w86
February 4th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I thought about installing Samba but from what I understand this is so that you can create shares that can be accessed/visible by Windows machines. Since both my machines have Ubuntu is there a native way of sharing this?

The sharing option in Ubuntu uses Samba as far as I am aware. :-k

If however you only have Linux machines I would recommend NFS over Samba. ;)

There is a guide on setting up NFS here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

Here is a more simple NFS setup guide: :D

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=249889

Morbius1
February 4th, 2010, 06:03 PM
The thing is i am able to share folders from my desktop PC

I forgot to ask something else, sorry. There are two ( Samba ) methods of sharing in Ubuntu so I want to see how you're sharing them:

Open Terminal
Type net usershare info
Type testparm -s

pbateman
February 4th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, Im at work now but will try them once i get back home tonight.
As far as how Im sharing folders, from what I recall,just like in Windows, right clicking and sharing from the menu. Of course though when I do this on the drive itself, there's no sharing option. ..
Thanks again for the info....I'll give a few of these a shot tonite

pbateman
February 5th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Use this:

sudo nautilus /media

then find the mounted drive you would like to share (it will only appear in /media while its plugged in)

Thanks tried this first and worked, gave me the option of sharing it whereas before i did not have it.
I am intrigued by NFS but looks pretty complicated...i'll look into it as well though just for knowledge purposes at least. Would this be considered a Samba share then? not NFS?
Thanks all!