PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] thunderbird 3.0

DarinB
February 4th, 2010, 01:33 PM
stupid thunderbird keeps on crashing.
a big problem when i write an important biz email that disappears.
Any body know what is up with this new release.
2.0 was a steady as a rock.
this one is pure crap???

Tholley
February 4th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I haven't updated to 3.0 yet... maybe I'll wait awhile... ;)

sorry... wish I could tell ya something....

porchrat
February 4th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Must admit I don't enjoy 3.0.

That autodetect thing with the incoming and outgoing servers drives me nuts.

kellemes
February 4th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Never had problems with TB3, currently using TB(3.0.2pre) without issues.

coolbrook
February 4th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Have you tried running it from terminal? Perhaps that will shed some light on the problem at the point of impact.

Silvertones
February 4th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I've been using 3.0 since it was a beta release. In windows that is. Never an issue. I've been using it in Ubuntu for a few days with no issue but here's what I did.
1. Install from Ubuntuzilla--don't run it yet
thunderbird -ProfileManager
Create a profile or however many you need. They will be in .thunderbird as opposed to .mozilla-thunderbird
3. Copy and paste the files that are inside the profile at .mozilla-thunderbird into the profile foler inside .thunderbird
4. open TB and you'll never know it was changed except it looks different.

DarinB
February 4th, 2010, 09:58 PM
thats what i did, it worked great for about a month or two now i am getting slammed. must be one of the updates to some lib. who know now it works like crap

DarinB
February 4th, 2010, 09:58 PM
would love to fix it or go back to 2.0 that thing was solid as a rock!

kellemes
February 4th, 2010, 10:17 PM
As already said..
You can run it from terminal and watch the output.
Possible your profile is broken and you can try working from a fresh one as explained by Silvertones.

TB2 is in the standard repositories of Karmic and Jaunty (your profile says you're on Jaunty).

sudo apt-get install thunderbird
should do it I guess.

DarinB
February 4th, 2010, 10:20 PM
yes it is a great idea, i have to remember to always start it from terminal so when it does crash i can get info. thanks.

Silvertones
February 4th, 2010, 10:54 PM
As I mentioned, your profile from version 2.0 is still intact because version 3.0 doesn't migrate the old profile from version 2.0.Instead of starting fresh copy and paste from .mozilla-thunderbird to .thunderbird. It'll be the same as reverting to v2.0. You'll loose your month or two of emails and contacts. Make a copy of the profile in .thunderbird though in case that's not it.

DarinB
February 4th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I am ready to do the .mozilla switch as above. i did copy and paste the .thunderbird 3.0 to my desktop to save it. but i have some really important emails in there any way to save them somewhere and then load them back.

DarinB
February 5th, 2010, 02:46 AM
i opened thunderbird and firefox with terminal and why would firefox or thunderbird not crash at all for hours of trying to get it to crash.
i didn't pay attention closed firefox re-opened it with the icon from the panel and it crashed in a about a minute. ???? is some one punking me???

DarinB
February 5th, 2010, 04:55 AM
i got something on firefox crash at least
rin@darin-desktop:~$ firefox

(firefox:25755): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to read the recently used resources file at `/home/darin/.recently-used.xbel', but the parser failed: Error reading file '/home/darin/.recently-used.xbel': Is a directory.
Segmentation fault
darin@darin-desktop:~$

no idea what this means
still no crash on thunderbird

nanotube
February 5th, 2010, 05:28 AM
i got something on firefox crash at least
rin@darin-desktop:~$ firefox

(firefox:25755): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to read the recently used resources file at `/home/darin/.recently-used.xbel', but the parser failed: Error reading file '/home/darin/.recently-used.xbel': Is a directory.
Segmentation fault

no idea what this means
still no crash on thunderbird

well, try deleting ~/.recently-used.xbel , which apparently is a directory...

DarinB
February 5th, 2010, 05:37 AM
where is it in my home folder?
i also got this in my thunderbird terminal but it did not crash yet
darin@darin-desktop:~$ thunderbird

(thunderbird-bin:29686): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to read the recently used resources file at `/home/darin/.recently-used.xbel', but the parser failed: Error reading file '/home/darin/.recently-used.xbel': Is a directory.
deliver mode: 0

i guess it is the same thing.

DarinB
February 5th, 2010, 05:54 AM
well i removed that directory or what ever it was as stated above....and i got immediate crash of thunderbird. it happens when i cut copy from a web page on the internet and paste it onto an email reply...or if i cut or copy and paste a link that is when it crashes with one of those crash report send outs. here is a read out that i have. it went on about 20 more times but i only included two. any ideas on this one???

(thunderbird-bin:31314): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_get_insert: assertion `GTK_IS_TEXT_BUFFER (buffer)' failed

(thunderbird-bin:31314): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_get_iter_at_mark: assertion `GTK_IS_TEXT_MARK (mark)' failed

DarinB
February 5th, 2010, 05:01 PM
another read out...but no crash.

** (soffice:12046): WARNING **: unable to get gail version number
error - missing word count in dictionary file
Hash Manager Error : 4

** (soffice:13794): WARNING **: unable to get gail version number

** (soffice:13826): WARNING **: unable to get gail version number

kellemes
February 5th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Don't get it..
soffice? This is an errormessage from OpenOffice.

DarinB
February 5th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I am sure those emails had attachments. It seems i also get problems with attachments. since i have been running from terminal no crashes or shut downs on either firefox or thunderbird.
that sucks who wants an os that you have to go to terminal to open apps??????

DarinB
February 7th, 2010, 12:30 AM
I am ready to do the .mozilla switch as above. i did copy and paste the .thunderbird 3.0 to my desktop to save it. but i have some really important emails in there any way to save them somewhere and then load them back.

regarding this method of reverting back to 2.0 as mentioned above???

DarinB
February 7th, 2010, 04:21 PM
another error
darin@darin-desktop:~$ firefox
Segmentation fault

no idea what to do.
my thunderbird crashed but i didn't run it in terminal...i can't reproduce the crash in terminal. three days now.
but if i open it not in terminal it crashes asap!!!!!
when i copy paste a link from firefox on to it using my mouse.
i saw a post about jedit but i have no idea what that is????
HELP ready to quit ubuntu??? piece of crap!!!!
BUT I GOT NOTHING TO GO TO THAT IS BETTER.
I NEED TO BE ABLE TO GET OUT EMAILS FOR BUSINESS PURPOSES I CAN'T BE F*ING AROUND!!!!!!!

nanotube
February 7th, 2010, 06:47 PM
another error
darin@darin-desktop:~$ firefox
Segmentation fault

no idea what to do.
my thunderbird crashed but i didn't run it in terminal...i can't reproduce the crash in terminal. three days now.
but if i open it not in terminal it crashes asap!!!!!
when i copy paste a link from firefox on to it using my mouse.
i saw a post about jedit but i have no idea what that is????
HELP ready to quit ubuntu??? piece of crap!!!!
BUT I GOT NOTHING TO GO TO THAT IS BETTER.
I NEED TO BE ABLE TO GET OUT EMAILS FOR BUSINESS PURPOSES I CAN'T BE F*ING AROUND!!!!!!!

well, it seems like something may be borked up with your profile... have you installed a bunch of weird addons? does the stuff still crash if you start with a fresh profile (command "firefox -P" or "thunderbird -P" to start the profile manager, and create a fresh new profile)

DarinB
February 7th, 2010, 09:35 PM
will i lose my emails?
and is the exact code
firefox -P
or
sudo firefox -P
sudo thunderbird -P

nanotube
February 7th, 2010, 10:30 PM
will i lose my emails?

no, your emails will remain in your old profile, and you can copy them over later.

and is the exact code
firefox -P
or
sudo firefox -P
sudo thunderbird -P

no sudo - just plain 'firefox -P' or 'thunderbird -P'.

as a general rule - never run a gui application with sudo, it can mess up the ownership of your user files. if you need to run a gui app as root, use 'gksudo' instead. (in this case, you don't need any sudo at all.)

DarinB
February 8th, 2010, 01:00 AM
i did the one for firefox but a gui did not open to create a new profile for thunderbird it did, therefore i have to recreate all the accounts i have about 5 email accounts and 8 inbox folders with filters. its is a bit of a job to recreate everything...how do i copy over the emails???

nanotube
February 8th, 2010, 01:10 AM
i did the one for firefox but a gui did not open

are you sure you didn't have firefox already opened somewhere before you did that?

to create a new profile for thunderbird it did, therefore i have to recreate all the accounts i have about 5 email accounts and 8 inbox folders with filters. its is a bit of a job to recreate everything...how do i copy over the emails???

all the mail is stored in the "Mail" subdirectory of your thunderbird profile, and if you have any imap accounts, that's in "ImapMail". your user account setups are in prefs.js.

for more detailed writeup about migrating a profile, see here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Changing_Profile_Folder_Locat ion#Create_a_new_profile_and_migrate_your_old_data

DarinB
February 8th, 2010, 04:37 PM
As I mentioned, your profile from version 2.0 is still intact because version 3.0 doesn't migrate the old profile from version 2.0.Instead of starting fresh copy and paste from .mozilla-thunderbird to .thunderbird. It'll be the same as reverting to v2.0. You'll loose your month or two of emails and contacts. Make a copy of the profile in .thunderbird though in case that's not it.

what parts of the profile are the emails, the accounts so i can be sure to keep those when i do this downgrade????

i am thinking of setting up a new profile and downgrading that one. to see if everything works. Is this possible???

SecretCode
February 9th, 2010, 02:27 PM
what parts of the profile are the emails, the accounts so i can be sure to keep those when i do this downgrade????

By default they will be in a folder like
/home/username/.mozilla-thunderbird/8randomchrs.default/Mail/

With separate subfolders for each mail account, and a number of files within each folder - back up all of them.

DarinB
February 10th, 2010, 02:09 AM
i made a new profile as suggested, i copied over the mail folder cache, abook.mab, blacklist.xml, prefs.js i had to re-enter the passwords and save them i have about 8 sub inbox folders and mail filters how do i get those. in. i am not sure if there is an easier way maybe just copy over the entire .mozilla folder and add the mail but i wont have the current sub folder emails.?????

DarinB
February 10th, 2010, 02:29 AM
i have discovered something interesting....according to the resposes above the .mozilla-thunderbird is the 2.0 profiles and the .thunderbird is the 3.0 profiles...when i created a new profile in thunderbird 3.0 it appeared in both .mozilla-thunderbird and in .thunderbird therefore copying over the .mozilla-thunderbird into the .thunderbird lead to no change at all....all the new addons are there as well as everything else...it also still crashes.
how can i downgrade to 2.0 and not lose my emails and accounts and sub folders and email in them???????

DarinB
February 10th, 2010, 04:48 PM
i am really stuck with this thing profile change has not worked i removed the custom button 0.6.0.8 add ons maybe i have to log out and log back in???

Add-ons: {58D4392A-842E-11DE-B51A-C7B855D89593}:1.1.5,es-AR@dictionaries.addons.mozilla.org:1.1.1,fr@dictio naries.addons.mozilla.org:2.1,lookout@aron.rubin:1 .2.10,{2ab1b709-ba03-4361-abf9-c50b964ff75d}:1.6.5,{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}:3.0
BuildID: 20091204170421
CrashTime: 1265816800
Email: darinb6@optonline.net
InstallTime: 1261611646
ProductName: Thunderbird
SecondsSinceLastCrash: 622
StartupTime: 1265816617
Theme: classic/1.0
Throttleable: 1
Vendor:
Version: 3.0

This report also contains technical information about the state of the application when it crashed.

DarinB
February 10th, 2010, 06:16 PM
happened again no idea what to do?
Add-ons: {58D4392A-842E-11DE-B51A-C7B855D89593}:1.1.5,es-AR@dictionaries.addons.mozilla.org:1.1.1,fr@dictio naries.addons.mozilla.org:2.1,lookout@aron.rubin:1 .2.10,{2ab1b709-ba03-4361-abf9-c50b964ff75d}:1.6.5,{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}:3.0
BuildID: 20091204170421
CrashTime: 1265822134
Email: darinb6@optonline.net
InstallTime: 1261611646
ProductName: Thunderbird
SecondsSinceLastCrash: 5334
StartupTime: 1265822129
Theme: classic/1.0
Throttleable: 1
Vendor:
Version: 3.0

This report also contains technical information about the state of the application when it crashed.

DarinB
February 11th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I am eliminating each add on one by one if i get a crash i remove the next one and see if it stops.
i am wondering there has to be a way to save the mail folder the pref.js the abook.mab the blacklist.xml delete all of thunderbirds in synaptic then go to my home folder and delete all the .mozilla-thunderbird and .thunderbird isn't there a purge command in terminal i can use for thunderbird then reinstall thunderbird 2.0 ?
any thoughts anybody?

DarinB
February 11th, 2010, 05:20 PM
ok i finally got a real message on the thunderbird crashes
here it is
darin@darin-desktop:~$ mozilla-thunderbird
(crashreporter:4724): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_sensitive: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(crashreporter:4724): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_sensitive: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

DarinB
February 12th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I finally gave up my system was so frakked. eventually the Grub died.
I ended up trying karmic OMG what a pain. after an all nighter i ended up with either no printer with cups and everything installed but no printer recognition OR no Internet even with everything present in the config files. and the usb ls.
I ended up trying linux mint on a lark around 10 this morning. And considering many podcasts rave about it...it works really well. BTW Thunderbird 2.000023 works great
thank you for all your hard work trying to help me with this pain. I learned a great lesson don't upgrade anything if what i have works. And Tbid 3.0, 3.1 etc are all not ready for prime time.