PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DVD Ripper

mrapoc
February 4th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Hey guys

i'm after a dvd ripper which actually works on ubuntu 9.10

looking to either rip at full quality DVD backup to either AVI or mkv (whichever is best quality/size ratio ya know).

Might just do a full quality rip and put all my dvds onto a 1tb drive.

So which program and what settings, also what size are we talking for a standard dvd, no menus just the film.

:popcorn: cheers

Grenage
February 4th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Take a look at handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php), a lot people get on well with it. I use it for re-encodes, but it can handle DVDs.

howefield
February 4th, 2010, 01:25 PM
i'm after a dvd ripper which actually works on ubuntu 9.10

That suggests you have tried some that don't.

It'd be helpful to know which before making suggestions, but the one I use is Handbrake.

handbrake.fr

mrapoc
February 4th, 2010, 01:32 PM
used to love dvd-rip

seems to never work for me nowadays

also i think i tried handbrake but i could never get a good quality even with a 4gb file.

maybe ill try again, x264, mkv, what size would a full rip be and would it be worth it, unless i could turn down the settings for a slightly compressed rip while still having a good rip quality

SuperSonic4
February 4th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I use k9copy and/or handbrake.

If you want full quality just rip the entire DVD to an ISO. VLC can handle them

mrapoc
February 4th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Welllll i did want it so i can use it on my Windows 7 boot as thats what I use most, and also so i can stream to my ps3 (i know avi and stuff works)

Unless I can mount the ISO in daemon tools and it will play like a normal dvd I dunnoo!

sxmaxchine
February 4th, 2010, 01:56 PM
i use thoggen because it does what i want and is simple

SuperSonic4
February 4th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Welllll i did want it so i can use it on my Windows 7 boot as thats what I use most, and also so i can stream to my ps3 (i know avi and stuff works)

Unless I can mount the ISO in daemon tools and it will play like a normal dvd I dunnoo!

In theory yes because it would create an exact copy but since I have neither a PS3 nor Windows I cannot test it.

ushills
February 4th, 2010, 01:58 PM
+1 for k9 copy and k9 copy assistant makes it easy.

mrapoc
February 4th, 2010, 02:11 PM
can both do x264 avi/mkv?

guess ill have to try them out

Tholley
February 4th, 2010, 02:11 PM
The only thing I have found that works for me, is DeVeDe to rip the dvd to ISO, then use K3b to burn to blank disc. (you can actually fit 2 full dvd movies onto 1 blank disc also)

I would imagine there is a way to convert an ISO image to avi if you really want to store them on a drive, but haven't tried that.

3rdalbum
February 4th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I use Ogmrip. I use MPEG-4 video and MP3 audio inside an MKV container, but if you like to support Free Software you should use Theora video, Vorbis audio inside an Ogg container.

looking to either rip at full quality DVD backup to either AVI or mkv (whichever is best quality/size ratio ya know)

Those are just container formats, not codecs. AVI and MKV can both contain whatever sort of audio and video formats you want. MKV is a better container format because it can contain text information too, and multiple simultaneous video and audio streams. In short, a video inside AVI is exactly the same once decoded as the same video data inside an MKV container.

3rdalbum
February 4th, 2010, 02:24 PM
can both do x264 avi/mkv?

K9Copy can.

3rdalbum
February 4th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I would imagine there is a way to convert an ISO image to avi if you really want to store them on a drive, but haven't tried that.

Mount it and then use any of your normal rippers; or use Ogmrip which can accept a DVD ISO.

mrapoc
February 4th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Ah DeVeDe used to fail for me too

So use handbrake to copy to a .ISO, then use handbrake to encode too - ill try that