PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Virtual Command Consoles in Ubuntu 9.10

bokgeneraal
February 4th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Hi all

I am a newbie. I read Keir Thomas's Ubuntu Beginners Book quickly. I came across a section about the command line. He mentioned virtual command consoles being used when the gui freezes. I tried this in Ubuntu 8 and it worked, but It doesn't work in Ubuntu 9.10
The key combination to access a virtual console is Ctrl-Alt-F2 or F3,F4,F5,F6. And to escape
Ctrl-Alt-F7. I tried finding it in the keyboard-shortcuts sections but it isn't there.:sad: Anybody know how it now works?

lotharmat
February 4th, 2010, 12:06 PM
That's weird! - I'm on 9.10 and it works perfectly - Do you get any error messages?

greenkernel
February 13th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Hi all

I am a newbie. I read Keir Thomas's Ubuntu Beginners Book quickly. I came across a section about the command line. He mentioned virtual command consoles being used when the gui freezes. I tried this in Ubuntu 8 and it worked, but It doesn't work in Ubuntu 9.10
The key combination to access a virtual console is Ctrl-Alt-F2 or F3,F4,F5,F6. And to escape
Ctrl-Alt-F7. I tried finding it in the keyboard-shortcuts sections but it isn't there.:sad: Anybody know how it now works?

Press Alt-SysRq-R followed by Ctrl-Alt-F1 to F7.
SysRq key is also known as Print Screen key.

Have Fun!