PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nVidia vs ATI

jeepfreak2002
February 4th, 2010, 08:14 AM
I am installing Windows 7 on my second partition, and plan to update to a new video card. How does ATI's drivers compare to nVidia's now? I play WOW and have always used nVidis due to their superior drivers in the past. Has ATI improved their support of Linux?

k3lt01
February 4th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I suppose alot depends on what your system is. My desktop has an nvidia card and I just updated it from Jaunty to Karmic. In Jaunty I could watch dvds with no problems without even using the nvidia driver. I have since updated to Karmic and the nvidia driver offers brilliant colour but stuffs the dvd video motion (it stutters along), without the nvidia driver the colour is crappy but the rest of the dvd behaviour is normal.

I really don't know how this will relate to gaming though.

g.cairns
February 4th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Having trawled the forums to date and found nothing hopeful it really seems ATI still fail with Linux drivers. I've used Ubuntu on an ATI equiped lap top and couldn't use the repository drivers without loosing all display. But I got a good result with whatever universal driver is downloaded at install.

Bit Tech used an invidia ITX board to good effect for an ion based HTPC and forums seem pretty positive about nvidia.

But as I have an Asus M4A785 under the teli I look forward to being contradicted so I can dump the vista nightmare.

switch10
February 4th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I own both an ATI card and an Nvidia card. They both work great, but I would recommend Nvidia. You have a better chance of not having to tinker with them.

jeepfreak2002
February 4th, 2010, 08:45 AM
yeah, that has been my experience... I just want things to work...

Now I need to pick a card for around 100 bucks... This card seems to be leading the race:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150316

nhasian
February 4th, 2010, 08:57 AM
in the past nvidia has been more reliable, but very recently both ATI as well as Nvidia support has been greatly improved in the latest 2.6.33 kernel. Personally i'm waiting for Nvidia's GF100 fermi gpu to come out (possibly next month?)

ptviperz
February 4th, 2010, 09:13 AM
yeah, that has been my experience... I just want things to work...

Now I need to pick a card for around 100 bucks... This card seems to be leading the race:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150316

I have that exact card and it's great.