PDA

View Full Version : Should I only use Main repository?

Missing_Number
February 2nd, 2010, 11:51 PM
Should I only use the main repository? How long does it take for "Universe" packages to become "Main"?

If I do use any "Universe" packages, should I only use the ones that are out of beta?

jken146
February 3rd, 2010, 02:06 PM
The Ubuntu repositories are defined by the provenance of the packages they contain and their copyright licences. See here for an explanation: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

mcduck
February 3rd, 2010, 02:18 PM
Should I only use the main repository? How long does it take for "Universe" packages to become "Main"?

If I do use any "Universe" packages, should I only use the ones that are out of beta?

Packages in Universe will never become "Main". Or at least unlesss the package becomes so popular that Canonical starts maintaining and supporting it.

Universe contains community-maintained software, Multiverse software that is resricted with copyrights, patent issues etc. So neither repository has anything to do with beta testing or anything like that.

(The "Proposed"-repository contains testing versions of packages, when a package is updated it's available in Proposed from couple of days to couple of weeks before it's moved into normal repositories.)

drs305
February 3rd, 2010, 02:20 PM
Here is a link the the community doc on Ubuntu Repositories:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

It explains the various options and which generally should be selected.

Psumi
February 3rd, 2010, 02:22 PM
Indeed, you should look at the documentation provided for the universe/etc. repos, as well as the medibuntu repos.

For one, you need universe (I believe, or was it multiverse) to install MP3 codecs.

Regardless, 9.10 ubuntu should have all of them enabled by default.

Shark_AtK12
February 4th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Indeed, you should look at the documentation provided for the universe/etc. repos, as well as the medibuntu repos.

For one, you need universe (I believe, or was it multiverse) to install MP3 codecs.

Regardless, 9.10 ubuntu should have all of them enabled by default.

Multiverse that would be.