PDA

View Full Version : was wondering when will there be 64 bit support

jewfromdahood
February 2nd, 2010, 11:40 PM
when will there be 64 bit support for ubuntu firefox... as i'd really like to get 3.6+ firefox and thunderbird 3.0.1+ working without losing my plugins and settings and everything with little effort... I use Ubuntu 8.10

nanotube
February 3rd, 2010, 12:18 AM
when will there be 64 bit support for ubuntu firefox... as i'd really like to get 3.6+ firefox and thunderbird 3.0.1+ working without losing my plugins and settings and everything with little effort... I use Ubuntu 8.10

Hi
unfortunately, that will only happen when mozilla starts releasing 64bit builds of its software. At this moment, I don't know when this will be.

In the meantime, as suggested on the ubuntuzilla website, you can try the 'firefox-stable' launchpad ppa for firefox, and the 'ubuntu-mozilla-daily' ppa for thunderbird (although it's currently troublesome to make both coexist... since the firefox dailies will overwrite firefox-stable) so you could just go for the daily repo and see how that works for you...

beartham
February 4th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Hi,

I just installed Firefox 3.6 and Seamonkey on a Jaunty 64bit laptop using the manual command line procedure on your website. Both browsers seem to be operating but neither will browse the internet (no proxy). Could this be a 64bit problem?

I have another Jaunty 64bit desktop box that I used Ubuntuzilla to install Firefox (v 3.0.11) and Seamonkey on last year. They both browse ok.

Any recommendation of how to get them to browse on the laptop?:confused:

Thanks

nanotube
February 5th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Hi,

I just installed Firefox 3.6 and Seamonkey on a Jaunty 64bit laptop using the manual command line procedure on your website.

by 'manual commandline procedure', do you mean the ubuntuzilla installer script?

Both browsers seem to be operating but neither will browse the internet (no proxy). Could this be a 64bit problem?

try installing package 'lib32nss-mdns'. if that doesn't work, try going into about:config, and setting 'network.dns.disableIPv6' to true.

beartham
February 5th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Thank you nanotube ;)

Installing 'lib32nss-mdns' seemed to work fine for Firefox. But then I added an add-on extension 'Gmarks', which I have on all my other Firefox versions. When it said to restart Firefox to finish Gmarks install, Firefox would not execute. I tried it from the icon and the command line. No response from command line at all.:shock:

Should I re-install Firefox with the Ubuntuzilla script?

Regarding Seamonkey, installing lib32nss-mdns was not enough. But when I set network.dns.disableIPv6 to true, it did work fine.

Thanks again.

nanotube
February 5th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Thank you nanotube ;)

you're welcome :)

Installing 'lib32nss-mdns' seemed to work fine for Firefox. But then I added an add-on extension 'Gmarks', which I have on all my other Firefox versions. When it said to restart Firefox to finish Gmarks install, Firefox would not execute. I tried it from the icon and the command line. No response from command line at all.:shock:

Should I re-install Firefox with the Ubuntuzilla script?

that probably won't help, as the problem is likely in your profile that gmarks has somehow borked up. i would instead suggest starting with a fresh profile to see if the problem resolves itself (likely).