PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Security Tools

diablo69er
February 2nd, 2010, 11:31 AM
So i'm a college student going for a network security major and i've used linux for many years however I was curious. If I need my laptop for college apps (open office) etc, and I need to brush up on my security knowledge, would I want to just get ubuntu 9.10 and install the security tools manually, or would I be better off using something like backtrack 4 or nubuntu and then just adding the word processing software to that.

Any input helps.

mkvnmtr
February 2nd, 2010, 01:43 PM
I would use the BackTrack distro only for security work. It is now based on 8.04. As I remember for other things later releases are better. For security probably nothing is better than Back Track. I have installed some of the tools I learned about on Back Track on my other releases just because I like to have them at hand.

Sarmacid
February 2nd, 2010, 01:58 PM
I'd suggest installing Virtualbox in Ubuntu and running BT as a virtual machine, at least that's what I do.

mkvnmtr
February 2nd, 2010, 02:49 PM
I also use it in a virtual box. Bear in mind that some of the most interesting programs use a lot of memory and cpu. There are of course other times that only a boot from the cd will do what you need to do.

diablo69er
February 3rd, 2010, 03:04 AM
That's good to go. I will use Ubuntu 9.10 and just get virtual box for my security needs as well as my college needs. Thanks :)