PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Can pulseaudio and jack play nice?

white95
February 1st, 2010, 05:28 PM
I'll try to keep it short.

I had some issues with Ubuntu-studio; I couldn't seem to get jack to work. Reading through posts it seemed that pulseaudio was the problem.

So I installed Ubuntu 9.10 and upgraded to Ubuntu-studio without pulseaudio and the studio desktop. Jack is working now, but I'm not sure if it's because of pulseaudio or if I just didn't setup jack correctly the first time.

When I had pulseaudio (the first install), playing videos and music seemed to be better; so I would like to have both if possible. When I look at posted guides and how-to's they are from 2008 and followed by posts saying "this didn't work" or "pulseaudio sucks".

So, do pulseaudio and jack currently co-exist properly?

trulan
February 2nd, 2010, 01:31 AM
It depends who you ask.

I had no issues with pulse audio as it came by default in Ubuntu Studio (which is to say that it gets suspended every time Jack Control is started, effectively separating the pulse and jack sound servers.) When I actually tried to mix pulse and jack (using packages from ppa's) things got messy.

Technically, Pulse Audio shouldn't cause any probems with Jack in Ubuntu or Ubuntu Studio. YMMV.

dawiba
February 2nd, 2010, 10:42 AM
x

white95
February 2nd, 2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks guys.