PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] PulseAudio Problem?

Hman242
January 31st, 2010, 07:34 PM
For some reason, all of my internet applications stop playing sound about three times a day. To fix it, I enter

sudo alsa force-reload

in the terminal. It always fixes the problem, but it's an annoyance to enter it in three times a day. What is the problem, and what can I do to make the problem stop?

dolphinaura
January 31st, 2010, 07:42 PM
Try

sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio*

Hman242
January 31st, 2010, 07:53 PM
That's going to remove it, I hope it works or I'm ******. The sound seems to still be working, so that's good. I'll tell you if the problems arrives again.

Psumi
January 31st, 2010, 09:53 PM
That's going to remove it, I hope it works or I'm ******. The sound seems to still be working, so that's good. I'll tell you if the problems arrives again.

Once you remove pulseaudio, you'll need to install some packages (I think) to get back the mixer functionality to your panel. If not, you'll have to use alsamixer in terminal.

Hman242
February 1st, 2010, 02:05 AM
What packages would I need?

Psumi
February 1st, 2010, 02:21 AM
What packages would I need?

One of them should be libasound of some kind, make sure gstreamer0.10-alsa are installed.

KDE doesn't use gstreamer unless you use parole or totem.

This is based on use of xfce though, so I don't know if it works with gnome volume mixer. Most gnome-media tools are based solely on pulse.

Hman242
February 1st, 2010, 02:28 AM
I've ended up installing Alsamixer, and I'm wondering how to get the sound icon in my panel. I read that that is possible, but I can't find out how. I'm using Gnome if that helps.

Psumi
February 1st, 2010, 02:30 AM
You might want to read this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1284219

cariboo
February 1st, 2010, 02:37 AM
Instead of removing pulseaudio, why not just restart it, by typeing in a terminal:

killall pulseaudio

Then checking your logs to see what happens when sound stops, the log files are located in /var/log. Instead of removing it, try to sort out why it is stopping.

Psumi
February 1st, 2010, 02:39 AM
Instead of removing pulseaudio, why not just restart it, by typeing in a terminal:

killall pulseaudio

Then checking your logs to see what happens when sound stops, the log files are located in /var/log. Instead of removing it, try to sort out why it is stopping.

Why do we need a process tree that we can see, when we can just use ALSA, which runs without a process tree we can see.

Hman242
February 1st, 2010, 03:55 AM

killall pulseaudioThen checking your logs to see what happens when sound stops, the log files are located in /var/log. Instead of removing it, try to sort out why it is stopping.
Someone didn't read my post :P