PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where is the dpi setting stored (user-specific)?

RobHK
January 31st, 2010, 06:29 PM
I was messing about with my dpi setting in gconf-editor and accidentally set it so small that I can't see the characters. Catch-22: this means I can't see to reset the dpi, and I'm not familiar enough with it to do it blind.

I logged out and into another user desktop and everything there is fine, so this is user specific. Can someone tell me where the value is stored? Then maybe I can get in to change it from this other desktop.

Any help much appreciated.

J V
January 31st, 2010, 06:32 PM
~/.gconf

RobHK
January 31st, 2010, 06:48 PM
~/.gconf

Thanks very much.

I'm in Windows at the moment so I can't look now. Do I take it that "~" means my /home/username directory?

mcduck
January 31st, 2010, 06:54 PM
Yes, ~/ is same as your home directory.

Anyway, you can use gconftool-2 to set the dpi value back to default, so no need to edit gconf files by hand...

gconftool-2 --type int --set /desktop/gnome/font_rendering/dpi "96"

Pedric
January 31st, 2010, 06:56 PM
You can run this command to set the dpi:

gconftool-2 -s --type float /desktop/gnome/font_rendering/dpi 96

RobHK
January 31st, 2010, 07:05 PM
You can run this command to set the dpi:

gconftool-2 -s --type float /desktop/gnome/font_rendering/dpi 96

Thanks to both Pedric and McDuck, who posted similar information.

I'd have to do this from another user desktop as I can't use the terminal in the problem one because of the font issue. But presumably I can just navigate there in a terminal from the other user desktop.

Thanks again. I'll give it a try shortly. For the moment I'm still in Windows.

Pedric
January 31st, 2010, 07:12 PM
You'll have to run this as the user that has the messed up configuration, simply press Ctrl-Alt-F1 before logon, login there, run the command and press Alt-F7 to return to the logon (GDM) screen, then logon as usual.

falconindy
January 31st, 2010, 07:16 PM
Actually, you don't. You can use sudo to do it from any user who's a member of the admin group.

sudo -u afflicteduser gconftool-2 .....

RobHK
January 31st, 2010, 08:05 PM
Yes, ~/ is same as your home directory.

Anyway, you can use gconftool-2 to set the dpi value back to default, so no need to edit gconf files by hand...

gconftool-2 --type int --set /desktop/gnome/font_rendering/dpi "96"

Thanks McDuck. I used your suggestion and all is now well.

Thanks to the others for your suggestions too. :)