PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installed programs not showing in menu

Monkey&Dad
January 31st, 2010, 03:33 PM
Hi,

I'm finding that, occasionally, I install certain programs (through the Synaptic package manager) but they don't show on the drop down program menu. It's the Python 3 compiler right now, but I know it's done it with other stuff too. It is showing as installed on the repository.

Thanks

audiomick
January 31st, 2010, 03:38 PM
When you right click on the applications menu in the task bar, choose "edit menus" or something like that. In the window that opens, "new entry" and you can add a starter to any program that is installed. You just have to know where it is, which might be the hardest bit. I don't know off hand...

theozzlives
January 31st, 2010, 03:41 PM
Programs are normally in /bin or /usr/bin

Monkey&Dad
January 31st, 2010, 03:46 PM
Ah, right, so programs installed through the package manager aren't (always) automatically added to the menu? I seeeee....

I'll have a dig around.

lotharmat
January 31st, 2010, 03:51 PM
Which programs are they. Some do not have a GUI and thus will not appear in the menus - Wordplay is one example of this and also mp3gain. Both are CLI programs

audiomick
January 31st, 2010, 04:01 PM
Some do not have a GUI and thus will not appear in the menus -

True, but I believe you can still create a starter.

lotharmat
January 31st, 2010, 04:08 PM
Not much point in creating a starter for mp3gain which expects a list of mp3s and switches and would only open a terminal window anyway - but hey we all have different preferences.;)