PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Virgin Media Internet and IP Addresses

Roger Allott
January 31st, 2010, 01:41 PM
From time to time, I download files from a file sharing web site - rapidshare.com.

Last night, I had downloaded a few files, but then I got an odd error message that prevented me from downloading another one. It said that my IP address was different to the one that had been recorded on the previous page.

It suggested that my IP address is no longer uniform, and that somehow, and for some unexplained reason, something is changing my IP address rather frequently.

I get the error regardless of using Firefox or Chromium on Ubuntu 9.10, or Firefox or Chrome on Windows Vista. That suggests it's an issue with my ISP - Virgin Media - so I'd be interested to hear from anyone else using Virgin as to whether they've noticed anything different today (Sunday 31 Jan) compared to yesterday.

Is there any way I can do more to diagnose the source of the problem?

J V
January 31st, 2010, 01:42 PM
power down your modem/router, leave it to cool for a half hour, try again, it should work now...

skymera
January 31st, 2010, 02:36 PM
I've logged into my Premium RS account on many computers and never had an error like that. Also with Virgin Media.

And my external IP has only changed once in the last 3 years.

+1 to restarting your router

Roger Allott
January 31st, 2010, 03:50 PM
power down your modem/router, leave it to cool for a half hour, try again, it should work now...

Done that, but problem remains.

Roger Allott
January 31st, 2010, 03:56 PM
I'm using the free RS service, and this is an example of what it's telling me today.

Currently a lot of users are downloading files. Please try again in 2 minutes or become a Premium member

Please note, the server is not going to check again within the next 2 minutes if downloading is possible again. To provide a fair platform, all user get the same options. Your last attempt was 47 seconds ago.

Except it was much more than 47 seconds previously that I tried. It was more like about 10 minutes previously.