PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ubuntuVSkubuntu

vnpifhf
January 31st, 2010, 11:47 AM
gobuntu, xubuntu xfce

What do all these mean?

I thought there was only one ubuntu so can some helpful give me a VS ubuntu with these as its really confusing me?

Thanks

3rdalbum
January 31st, 2010, 11:53 AM
Ubuntu has the Gnome desktop environment.

Xubuntu has the XFCE desktop environment. (a different look and feel)

Kubuntu has KDE. (another different look and feel).

Gobuntu is no longer around - but it was a version of Ubuntu that consisted entirely of Free software. Ubuntu is pretty Free already, but Gobuntu didn't have any non-Free firmware, nor the ability to install non-Free codecs and software.

NightwishFan
January 31st, 2010, 11:56 AM
Ubuntu is a distribution and the core system of all Ubuntu based derivatives, such as Kubuntu. Kubuntu is supported by Canonical like Ubuntu, however it runs using a different interface called KDE.

Standard Ubuntu uses Gnome (yay gnome). Gnome is a desktop designed for stability and usability. I use Gnome personally, I used to use KDE.

You can install Gnome, KDE, or more on the same system. Installing Kubuntu just means you install Ubuntu with KDE by default.

Xubuntu is an unofficial but popular Ubuntu derivative that uses the XFCE desktop. XFCE is lighter than Gnome or KDE and can be used for older computers, or those who want a more efficient interface.

This all sounds complicated, but really you are getting the same Ubuntu no matter what you choose. The interface is really just what your preference is.

Here are some links:

KDE Desktop: http://kde.org/announcements/4.3/index.php
Kubuntu: http://www.kubuntu.org/
http://www.xubuntu.org/

vnpifhf
January 31st, 2010, 11:58 AM
so which one do you recommend for my acer aspire m1610 computer

1.5 GB ram

intel pentium dual core processor

60gb partition to ubuntu

windows vista home premium

NightwishFan
January 31st, 2010, 12:10 PM
Any edition of Ubuntu will run excellent on those specifications. Your machine is more powerful than mine (except for the windows part /joke). I would advise you choose between Gnome or KDE, as either will run well. If you are a beginner you may like Gnome better. KDE bears more of a resemblance to Windows.

Please feel free to ask any questions about either, as I am familiar with both.

vnpifhf
January 31st, 2010, 12:13 PM
but this is what i dont get right,,,

if theyre all the same why make all these other ones

im using ubuntu karmic 9.10 at the mo and just wondering why kubuntu?

why is it so special that they have to get another operating system!

why?

and which do you think is best?

NightwishFan
January 31st, 2010, 12:30 PM
Perhaps if you like to use KDE, then you can use the Kubuntu CD to install an Ubuntu KDE system. Likewise, if you like Gnome you can use the Ubuntu Gnome CD. Think of them as an Ubuntu CD with different defaults.

I used to use KDE for about 2 years, but I use Gnome because I do not like the new KDE desktop. I recommend GNOME, but it is really up to you. If you have the time, download a CD of both and try out which one you like. You can test run Ubuntu/Kubuntu right from the CD without needing to install. :p

I agree it would perhaps be better to label them along the lines as "Ubuntu KDE" and "Ubuntu Desktop (Gnome)"

vnpifhf
January 31st, 2010, 12:33 PM
but your the master at this ;)

give me your recommendation on this as i am serious

do you think ubuntu or the other ones are better?

NightwishFan
January 31st, 2010, 12:40 PM
I find Gnome to be the superior desktop to my tastes. If you are unsure give that one a try. Remember you can always try either.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

If you need any help installing or any questions, feel free to ask.

kellemes
January 31st, 2010, 12:47 PM
I recommend Kubuntu.. simply because KDE(4.3.5) works for me and I like it a lot more then the Gnome-desktop.
But my or anyones preference should not matter..
Try them both to see what works for you, it's very personal.

Artificial Intelligence
January 31st, 2010, 01:17 PM
I recommend Kubuntu.. simply because KDE(4.3.5) works for me and I like it a lot more then the Gnome-desktop.
But my or anyones preference should not matter..
Try them both to see what works for you, it's very personal.

+1

It's all matter of personal taste, the best advise is to try which one that fits you.

3rdalbum
January 31st, 2010, 01:39 PM
but your the master at this ;)

give me your recommendation on this as i am serious

do you think ubuntu or the other ones are better?

"Better" is a relative term.

In any case, I'd recommend you install regular Ubuntu to start off with. If you want to try Kubuntu, then you can just install KDE from your package manager. If you want to try Xubuntu, you can just install Xfce from your package manager.