PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ram and memory in ubuntu

jahangir99
January 31st, 2010, 11:41 AM
On my windows vista my ram is 1.5 GB.

But on my ubuntu it says its 1.2 GB.

And also my browser games (darkorbit) on windows vista say i have 25 fps and 460 mb memory but on ubuntu its half that-12fps and 250mb playing memory.

I can tell you general things on ubuntu are much much faster i.e logging on and not freezing/crashing.

Im having a problem with gaming, especially netrek when im getting data stream stalls from server.

Can anyone tell me why i have less ram and why my gaming is not as good.

Thank you for helping me with this :)

J V
January 31st, 2010, 11:45 AM
You don't have less ram, type in free -m to terminal... I'm guessing you just have less swap than you had vram...

Also, what is this browser game running on? javascript? (Fat lot of good fps does there) flash? (Get it from adobe)

jahangir99
January 31st, 2010, 11:51 AM
its darkorbit from bigpoint and uses adobe flash

its proper annoying as i dont know what these things mean

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac121/jahangir99/Screenshot-3.png

im supposed to have 1.5 gigs of ram

J V
January 31st, 2010, 11:53 AM
Lets try again: "type in free -m to terminal.."

Also, you are on the wrong tab, go to resources

philinux
January 31st, 2010, 11:54 AM
Have you got integrated graphics card?

jahangir99
January 31st, 2010, 12:08 PM
liking ur kirk avatar there phil ;)

I have sis mirage 3 graphics card with some dedicated memory (i think 256 (have to log into windows))

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac121/jahangir99/Screenshot-4.png

J V
January 31st, 2010, 12:12 PM
edit: ah yes thats it, the vid card is using some ram, but as you can see, you have plenty left...

just install adobe flash and your game should be fine too...

jahangir99
January 31st, 2010, 12:16 PM
but on my windows it had some dedicated ram for graphics and i always had the 1.5 gb not 1.2

and you would not believe how fast this game will take up your memory, i had 400mb towards this program, but now only 200mb and my fps is really low over here

yes, i may be using a three usb modem but thats got nothing to do with it

ubuntu feels so good, faster, lighter but this little bit is becoming a huge problem

including the fact my resolution will not go above 1024x760!

help!

philinux
January 31st, 2010, 12:17 PM
Right click on the top panel and add the CPU scaling frequency monitor.

Then left click on it and select Performance. Try your flash game now with it set to performance.

Also are you running 64 bit or 32 bit ubuntu.

Ubuntu is showing you how much ram is available after the graphics card has nabbed some I think.
Windows did not account for this and just showed you installed ram.

jahangir99
January 31st, 2010, 12:23 PM
no my graphics card has some dedicated memory, i will log onto windows and printscreen it if you wish

and yes i have 32bit ubuntu

and i did not get what your right clicking thing meant?

i think the problem is that ubuntu does not detect my dedicated memory for my graphics?

philinux
January 31st, 2010, 12:25 PM
no my graphics card has some dedicated memory, i will log onto windows and printscreen it if you wish

and yes i have 32bit ubuntu

and i did not get what your right clicking thing meant?

i think the problem is that ubuntu does not detect my dedicated memory for my graphics?

Right click on the top panel anywhere. A drop down will appear. Select add to panel.

Also turn off compiz if you desktop effects enabled.

jahangir99
January 31st, 2010, 12:26 PM
oh yes ive changed it from 1.20 ghz to 1.60ghz by changing it from ondemand to performance,

what does this do to my computer?

jahangir99
January 31st, 2010, 12:27 PM
i have compiz but i do not know wether it is enabled (i dont think so)

philinux
January 31st, 2010, 12:38 PM
oh yes ive changed it from 1.20 ghz to 1.60ghz by changing it from ondemand to performance,

what does this do to my computer?

Just see if it makes a difference while playing your flash game. The default ondemand I find does not respond as well as it should. I have mine permanently set to conservative. Which seems to be better for flash.

Also to check if compiz is affecting flash performance do this.
System>prefs>appearance>Visual Effects>NONE

Then play your flash game.

jahangir99
January 31st, 2010, 12:46 PM
wait... you said i should put it on performance

but what do all the settings mean?

and i still havent found the problem of the missing dedicated flash memory

:D

J V
January 31st, 2010, 01:39 PM
its not missing and its not flash, for the 5th+ time: It doesn't show up here: Windows makes you think you have more memory by adding the ram that the gfx card will use so you can't use it anyway... At least linux is honest...

jahangir99
January 31st, 2010, 08:59 PM
hmm...
there is still this unsolved solution

on windows the game says i have 400mb free game memory but on ubuntu its half that

and the frames per second is always lower and chrome when on flash sometimes flickers.

i have had a rocky start towards ubuntu but slowly getting used to it, some bugs

:)

Hejula
February 1st, 2010, 01:22 PM
boo.

jahangir99
February 1st, 2010, 01:39 PM
please dont boo my profile

Hejula
February 1st, 2010, 01:39 PM
why

Hejula
February 1st, 2010, 01:43 PM
:KS:popcorn::P:o:D:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

philinux
February 1st, 2010, 01:48 PM
hmm...
there is still this unsolved solution

on windows the game says i have 400mb free game memory but on ubuntu its half that

and the frames per second is always lower and chrome when on flash sometimes flickers.

i have had a rocky start towards ubuntu but slowly getting used to it, some bugs

:)

See Post #14 and report back.