PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Live CD on USB username and password?

nooby
January 31st, 2010, 10:58 AM
I don't need it solved now. Other problems are more important.

I have ubuntu 9.10 on a 2GB usb mem stick. Trying to get Swedish chars on the keybd I tested if it helped to log out.

Then it asked me to log in and to give username and password.

But I ahve not chosen any such username or pwd.

Is there a generic such already set up? what username and password was expected of me to give?

I solved it by starting all over but that means I have no idea next time what to write there.

To get Swedish one had to click on second Desk 2 because on Desk 1 it is only english keyboard?

candtalan
February 1st, 2010, 12:42 AM
I do not know the answer, however on a version of ubuntu I tried with a similar action a while ago, I noticed that it said it would automatically login after 10 seconds, and it did this, ok. Do you have a similar time notice shown?

nooby
February 1st, 2010, 07:42 AM
Great thanks, I was not that patient, I hastely hit the power button to get out of the embarrassing situation to not know my user name. Could it be as simple as user Ubuntu password linux?

But if one only have to wait ten seconds I try that next time.

Maybe one get logged in automatically as user "Live CD user" and password blank?

warfacegod
February 1st, 2010, 02:19 PM
Hit Enter. No need to wait the 10 seconds.

nooby
February 1st, 2010, 02:31 PM
The crazy thing is that it ask for ubuntu password for changing to Swedish chars and for changing to new user and for everything. Well security are good but they never told me what password the live cd os have.

should I guess that the username is ubuntu and the password are ubuntu or is it 12345 or what?

It doesn not accept to just hit a blank psw

I am writing from within the USB now but most likely it is still a live cd version.

logged in as live session user it says. name ubuntu but what password does it have?

CharlesA
February 1st, 2010, 02:33 PM
The password for the live cd is "ubuntu"

garvinrick4
February 1st, 2010, 02:45 PM
correct- should be ubuntu-ubuntu user name/password

warfacegod
February 1st, 2010, 02:48 PM
Could it be a spelling issue going from "English" to Swedish?

nooby
February 1st, 2010, 05:50 PM
I tried ubuntu ubuntu and the remaster did write that the older versions did have that but the newer that he made SuperOS of maybe don't because it fails.

Mine is not in swedish. but it failes to authenticate wrong password it says.

nooby
February 11th, 2010, 12:30 AM
the not so funny things is that same did happen to me in Linux Mint KDE Community Edition. Yes I know it is not Ubuntu but almost.

Anyway they may have learned how to do it from Ubuntu. So my wild guess is that it is some kind of admin username. Not something I gave them.

something built in. I searched for hours on internet google failed to find anything that worked.

fortunately SuperOS did not ask such questions and I use it now.

Doesn't anybody have any clue what it could be? Does Ubuntu linux has some kind of error handling username password for the live CD? Yes ubuntu but it failed. So what else could it be?

Now the same did happen in Mint too. So this seems to be a pattern???
something they share with each other. Some kind of built in protection?

I used pendrive linux usb installer to a HDD USB external drive.

warfacegod
February 11th, 2010, 01:56 AM
I think this is nothing more than the password being English letters and your keyboard is sending Swedish ones. I don't think there's anything more to it than that. The LiveCD remembers the password as UBUNTU but your sending (forgive me, I don't know Swedish) VBVNTV. It can't translate it. I'd guess it would be a security hole if it could.

warfacegod
February 11th, 2010, 01:57 AM
If I'm right, by the way, that means that your Swedish keyboard characters work.

nooby
February 13th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I don't if it solved or not but set it as solved just in case.

warfacegod
February 26th, 2010, 06:27 AM
I don't if it solved or not but set it as solved just in case.

That's your job.:p It's under Thread Tools.

BLTicklemonster
July 8th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I've always been able to trust Ubuntu to come through for me when a Windows computer fails, but this is the first time I've not been able to boot to a live cd. Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic. I'm using an English keyboard, I'm using a CD not a usb, and voila, it wants a user name and password.

I'm beside myself with contempt for Canonical even letting a live cd have this capability. This is totally wrong, and is really taking up my time needlessly. I guess I got what I paid for.

So I reckon I'll just use a Jaunty live CD.

Still can't figure out why Canonical would have the option for a live cd to nut up on you and ask for a user name and password. Is that like, "We work to flawlessly, let's do something stupid".

And no, ubuntu ubuntu doesn't work. Heck the fact that I have to even put anything is exceedingly bad.

Okay, that's my rant for this 6 months, see you all in December.

:popcorn:

candtalan
July 8th, 2010, 10:41 PM
.....this is the first time I've not been able to boot to a live cd. Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic. ..... I'm using a CD not a usb, and voila, it wants a user name and password

I have just run a 9.10 Karmic live CD in a machine here and can confirm that it has not required any username nor password. To my knowledge, none of the live CDs have that requirement. I download my own CDs and verify them.

Is there a possibility that the (Windows?) PC you used may have encrypted files on it I wonder?
In my test here, the PC contains Windows XP, and I can read the files, again without any password issues.

BLTicklemonster
July 16th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I took a hard drive that already had Ubuntu on it from one laptop, put it in another laptop, started up the live cd to do a fresh install, and bam, there's the stupid thing asking for a password again.

just last night.

But this time I took my time and noticed that it said some thing like "user Ubuntu will log in in so many seconds", so I just waited and it logged in automatically.

I still don't understand why it's coming up with wanting a user name and password.