PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Google Chrome

D|F
January 31st, 2010, 08:17 AM
Hello guys.
I'm just a new user,
can i ask how can i install Google Chrome in ubuntu?

Temposs
January 31st, 2010, 08:37 AM
Go here:

http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?hl=en&brand=CHMA&utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-bk&utm_medium=ha

Choose the Debian version, and make sure you choose the correct 32-bit or 64-bit version. Just download the file and double click it to run the installer.

laidback
January 31st, 2010, 12:56 PM
As you install it you get the option to copy across your bookmarks from FF, I found the installation to be very slick.

It appears to be faster than FF too.

I'm running 9.04.

philinux
January 31st, 2010, 01:06 PM
The EULA stinks a bit.

howefield
January 31st, 2010, 01:21 PM
The EULA stinks a bit.

What exactly should we wary of smelling ?

J V
January 31st, 2010, 01:35 PM
Well for one, they don't even let you disable javascript... (Means they get to track you wherever you go)

They probably won't allow plugins cause someone could disable javascript and phone home tech...

It requires users to "give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and nonexclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services."

It also references the general google privacy page for info pertaining to your info... We already know that part of google is evil...

Basicly they own your soul... and if they change anything they can control your computer too without telling you...

Open source my ***...

Besides, ff 3.6 is faster than chrome in a test I saw somewhere :)

rburkartjo
January 31st, 2010, 02:04 PM
i am using the chromium version and really like it\. it is now my browser of choice. must faster than ff and now has about 2,000 ext avail

howefield
January 31st, 2010, 02:13 PM
Apologies to the OP, I was asking a genuine question of philinux. Do not wish to derail. There are a couple of versions as I understand, the one referenced earlier plus the beta version here

http://www.google.com/landing/chrome/beta/

Well for one, they don't even let you disable javascript... (Means they get to track you wherever you go)

Can't see that in the EULA

They probably won't allow plugins cause someone could disable javascript and phone home tech...

Nor that.

It requires users to "give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and nonexclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services."

Nor this old chestnut.

It also references the general google privacy page for info pertaining to your info... We already know that part of google is evil...

Basicly they own your soul... and if they change anything they can control your computer too without telling you...

Open source my ***...

Besides, ff 3.6 is faster than chrome in a test I saw somewhere :)

I am obviously reading the wrong EULA.

J V
January 31st, 2010, 02:21 PM
Well the first 2 quotes aren't in the eula, but that doesn't mean you can enable javascript/plugins for it, there was a big hubbub about 3, they had to change it methinks...

But then what can we expect from the company that quite literally knows what we are thinking? :P

GPL ftw :)

howefield
January 31st, 2010, 02:33 PM
Well the first 2 quotes aren't in the eula,...

Actually, none of it is in the EULA, I asked a specific question of the EULA and you took it as an opportunity to go off on your own off topic agenda/rant.

J V
January 31st, 2010, 02:37 PM
You asked what we should be wary of smelling, I told you, the eula is not the only thing that smells fishy about chrome...

Every character you type into the address bar gets sent to google, regardless if you delete it, or don't even submit it, you can't disable JS, they probably won't allow plugins because it would undermine their IP, and the eula did state they owned everything (http://gizmodo.com/5044871/google-chrome-eula-claims-ownership-of-everything-you-create-on-chrome-from-blog-posts-to-emails) you did on chrome.

No more flame plz...

Edit: js can be disabled, but not on specific websites, its either crippled or tracked.

howefield
January 31st, 2010, 02:45 PM
You asked what we should be wary of smelling, I told you, the eula is not the only thing that smells fishy about chrome...

You just can't stop yourself. The question was asked of the EULA, none of your answers apply.

Thank you for your contribution.

No more flame plz...

Finally.

Again, apologies to the OP.

emz414
January 31st, 2010, 03:07 PM
The EULA stinks a bit.
Then use the less stinky Chromium (http://www.chromium.org/) :D