PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't resize windows

soft-e
January 31st, 2010, 01:27 AM
Hello,

I'm new toLinux/Ubuntu. I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my Dell desktop. I wiped out the windows OS. I didn't need it. I also have the XP cd with me if I have to reinstall . I had a feeling that my computer wasn't able to handle the sophisticated graphics that came with this release so I installed UBuntu in the safe mode, with minimal graphics. I've noticed, that during the install process itself, the display's were very messed up. I couldn't get to some of the buttons etc. I'm now even forced to key in a user id and password during login (an undesirable result of my display problem). Later while watching "youtube", it looks like as though, the video gets diplayed in wide screen. I can see the top half, but to see the bottom half, I have to scroll down and when I do that, I can't see the top half. When I do a full screen, the experiecen is normal. I also have a prolem with my general experience with web browsing as well using Mozilla Firefox. I've not used Fireforx before. On my window vista (on a different computer), when I go to cnn.com (I'm using Internet Explorer), most of the page is displayed, and I have a vertical scroll bar to show me the remainging. But on Firefox/Ubuntu, very little part of the page is displayed. I also have a horizontal bar. I have to use the horizontal and veritical scroll bars to view the contents. When I hooked my laptop that runs Windows and IE to the montior that I'm using for Linux/Ubuntu, indicating that something is wrong with Ubuntu/Firefox.

Please help
soft-e

NightwishFan
January 31st, 2010, 01:36 AM
May I ask what model your graphics hardware is? To find out on Linux, go to a terminal and type:

lshw -c video

soft-e
January 31st, 2010, 03:03 AM
Hello NightwishFan,

Thank you for your response. I'm having a problem responding because of the visual layout of the screen. Here's the information:

WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 03
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:16 memory:e0000000-e7ffffff(prefetchable) memory:ee000000-ee07ffff

-soft-e

*Raz0r*
January 31st, 2010, 03:13 AM
I had a similar problem when installed the new 9.10 Ubuntu. My computer freezes every time when opening random applications. So I had to quickly disable the Compiz Fusion Graphic Effects. After that all works fine for me now.