PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] server setup

jpschubert
January 31st, 2010, 01:14 AM
I have an 8 year old dell dimension 4300 (1.4 cpu) which I would like to setup as a file/print server and domain controller. I have two-250Gb sata2 drives which I would like to use. I know I can get a PCI card which would allow me to use the sata drives with the motherboard's ide controller but I am not sure if there is hardware like this available which has a tested ubuntu driver. I also want to install a 100gigabit lan card. Same issue about a driver.

Does anyone know if what I want to do is possible and what hardware and ubuntu version I need to use to make it happen?

Also, if I can actually do what I describe above, can this one machine act as a pvr and web server? If I want to have all the above server functions, any recommendations to change my setup of the dell?

Thanks for your help!

Mike'sHardLinux
January 31st, 2010, 01:28 AM
As far as the NIC, you shouldn't have any problems if you get a card based on the Realtek 8169. That is a very common chip, and known to work under Linux. I use them.

dolphinaura
January 31st, 2010, 03:49 AM
I have an 8 year old dell dimension 4300 (1.4 cpu) which I would like to setup as a file/print server and domain controller. I have two-250Gb sata2 drives which I would like to use. I know I can get a PCI card which would allow me to use the sata drives with the motherboard's ide controller but I am not sure if there is hardware like this available which has a tested ubuntu driver. I also want to install a 100gigabit lan card. Same issue about a driver.

Does anyone know if what I want to do is possible and what hardware and ubuntu version I need to use to make it happen?

Also, if I can actually do what I describe above, can this one machine act as a pvr and web server? If I want to have all the above server functions, any recommendations to change my setup of the dell?

Thanks for your help!

why dont you post the exact model of hardware (and or links to the manufacturer's page) you want to install?
Then we can tell you which ones actually work.