PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sed/Awk/Whatever - Remove SOME Line Breaks

wbryan6
January 31st, 2010, 12:08 AM
This seemed like as good a place as any to ask this question. Let's say you have a text file that contains the following:

Hello
World
Hello
World
Hello
World

What is one way that you can turn this into:

Hello World
Hello World
Hello World

Not all line breaks are removed. Only the ones that are between "Hello" and "World" are replaced by spaces. Any ideans?

llamabr
January 31st, 2010, 12:19 AM
Maybe this problem is more complicated, but this sounds like a job for your text editor, not for sed and awk. in nano, or emacs will come with search and replace.

If you explain your actual problem, we can probably code something up.

Mornedhel
January 31st, 2010, 12:35 AM
A perl one-liner does the job.

Cute one:

perl -ne 'chomp and print "$_ " and next if /Hello/; print' filename.txt

Practical one:

perl -ne 's/\n/ / if /Hello/; print' filename.txt

Replace /Hello/ with a regular expression that suits you better if necessary.

wbryan6
January 31st, 2010, 12:37 AM
Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but I typically use vi for my console text editing and am not overly comfortable with nano or emacs. I could probably learn how to do a simple search and replace with one of them, but this seems to be a reoccurring issue in some of my scripting and I don't always have the ability to edit the text file in question.

Basically, like my example, I have a text file where I have repeated occurrences of a line break getting in the way of manipulating a string of text. In the case of what I'm doing now, I have addresses listed as:

123 Main St.
Your Town, USA 12345

I would prefer to store this as:

123 Main St. Your Town, USA 12345

All other line breaks in the file are not a problem, just the one that breaks the address apart.

wbryan6
January 31st, 2010, 12:39 AM
Thank you Mornedhel. I'll give that a try.

wbryan6
January 31st, 2010, 12:42 AM
Works like a champ! Thanks again.

DaithiF
February 1st, 2010, 12:39 AM
just to add a sed equivalent:

sed '/Hello/N;s/\n/ /' somefile
...match lines containing Hello, for each of these, read in the following line and replace the newline between the 2 with a space.