PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Is there an easy program for file backup?

btedm
January 30th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I wanted to back up my /home directory.

I was using Unison and happily backing up the /home directory until I found that it was not backing up the hidden files such as my email.

I tried "Simple Backup" which had a nice user interface, but the backups failed -- the CPU went to 100% but the process which was supposed to be working in the background did not show up on the System Monitor.

I tried file-roller. In Ubuntu 9.04 it gave up on access denied (there was no helpful information saying which file but I think it was in .wine). In Ubuntu 9.10 which I just installed it worked for /home including .wine. I then tried backing up /usr and received a message "an error occurred while adding files to the archive", although in a quick scan I did not find anything missing and retrieving a sample file worked.

Does anyone know of a reliable backup program with a good user interface (and good error messages if something goes wrong)? I know I could spend some time and learn to write a script file to do the backup, and I may do this as a learning exercise. But for such a routine task it should not be necessary for a user to resort to programming.

Psumi
January 30th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Back in time?

tom.swartz07
January 30th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I wanted to back up my /home directory.

I was using Unison and happily backing up the /home directory until I found that it was not backing up the hidden files such as my email.

I tried "Simple Backup" which had a nice user interface, but the backups failed -- the CPU went to 100% but the process which was supposed to be working in the background did not show up on the System Monitor.

I tried file-roller. In Ubuntu 9.04 it gave up on access denied (there was no helpful information saying which file but I think it was in .wine). In Ubuntu 9.10 which I just installed it worked for /home including .wine. I then tried backing up /usr and received a message "an error occurred while adding files to the archive", although in a quick scan I did not find anything missing and retrieving a sample file worked.

Does anyone know of a reliable backup program with a good user interface (and good error messages if something goes wrong)? I know I could spend some time and learn to write a script file to do the backup, and I may do this as a learning exercise. But for such a routine task it should not be necessary for a user to resort to programming.

I was just looking to do something like this. I found a simple script that someone posted in reply- ill share it with you:

I tweaked it a bit for my purposes, im sure you could do the same:

#!/bin/sh
####################################
#
# Backup to external USB drive
#
####################################

# What to backup. *EDITABLE*
backup_files="/home/tom"

# Where to backup to. *EDITABLE*
dest="/media/backup"

# Temporary storage for file as its being processed. *EDITABLE*
temp="/media/Data"

# -----DO NOT EDIT BELOW THIS LINE----- #
# Create archive filename.
#day=$(date +%a)
#time=$(date +%R)
hostname=$(hostname -s)
#archive_file="$hostname-$day-$time.tgz"
archive_file="$hostname.tgz"
# Print start status message.
echo "Backing up $backup_files to $dest/$archive_file"
date
echo

# Backup the files using tar.
tar czf $temp/$archive_file $backup_files
#compress to save space.
gzip -9 $temp/$archive_file
#Remove previous file and copy new version
mv $temp/$archive_file $dest
# Print end status message.
echo
echo "Backup finished"
date

# Long listing of files in $dest to check file sizes.
ls -lh $dest

Hope this helps!

warfacegod
January 30th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I like this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=81311

jhigz
January 30th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I would second Back in Time.

The default setting is to exclude hidden files and folders, but by using links to this data, I'm able to backup Evolution, Tomboy, or whatever, and leave the default settings as is. I simply store the links in a folder within my home and it grabs the hidden data.

tom.swartz07
January 31st, 2010, 12:09 AM
I like this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=81311

Hey warface- isnt that the same method that my script does? :popcorn:

Im just saying.. :lolflag:

NightwishFan
January 31st, 2010, 12:11 AM
+1 more for Backintime. It seems excellent. It has Gnome and KDE frontends.

warfacegod
January 31st, 2010, 04:34 AM
Hey warface- isnt that the same method that my script does? :popcorn:

Im just saying.. :lolflag:

You don't think I actually read your posts do you?

It probably is but reading the thread would give the OP a better idea of what is happening, as well as a way to know what to take out of the backup that is unnecessary. ...And it's a shorter code.:P

Fixed my laptop finally.

falconindy
January 31st, 2010, 04:50 AM
...for such a routine task it should not be necessary for a user to resort to programming.
Just because something is routine doesn't mean it's simple. Backups need to be precise -- permissions, ownership, and timestamps all need to be preserved in order for the archive to be useful. Structure is important for ease of recovery, and in turn, the recovery (and backup) process needs to be simple as well.

To that extent, I've always written my own backup scripts, to ensure that I get exactly what I want. Call me paranoid, but I only trust my own software to handle my backups.

If you want to write your own, I highly recommend centering the script around rsync, as it's outrageously flexible and reasonably quick. I'm currently on my 3rd solution (http://github.com/falconindy/SquashFu), which has evolved from a simple rsync wrapper to a full blown Bash program that offers incremental backups and compression (via somewhat exotic methods).

perce
January 31st, 2010, 05:27 AM
If you don't mind the terminal, rsync is efficient and quite easy to use

switch10
January 31st, 2010, 05:27 AM
I used to use back in time. Now I just manually rsync my /home. Using the "restore" button (I think thats what they call it) in back in time failed for me, so I had to restore manually as well.

btedm
January 31st, 2010, 11:59 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I tried "Back in Time" and it worked well for me. I also restored a few files and it worked well. I restore a few files because of a bad experience with Acronis (in Windows XP) where the backups saved without any error but the files were corrupt when they were restored. When I have more time I will try using rsync or possibly .tar because I see there are many options which are not in Back in Time. Thanks again all.

ElSlunko
January 31st, 2010, 12:08 PM
Yep +1 for back in time. It's saved my butt in many occasions.