PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help with monitor resolution

Tokyo Joe
January 30th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I installed Ubuntu today and really like it so far, except the System Display Preferences doesn't list the resolution I need. 800x600 is the highest but the Native/Optimum Resolution for my monitor is 1400 x 1050. My graphics chip is integrated Intel 82845G/GL. I downloaded from the Intel site what I thought was the correct driver but the Administration/Hardware Drivers function doesn't recognize any "Proprietary Drivers". Appreciate any help so I can fully enjoy my new OS. Thanks!

Joe

DTM84
January 30th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I've been facing a similar problem with finding the correct ATI propriatary drivers on my system.

A solution that might work for you is reconfiguring xorg to allow for other resolutions.

This solution asumes that you have the right driver though. If you don't, you might not be able to get the resolutions you input into xorg to work.

You can look up how to reconfig xorg in the forums, but I'd probably hold off till you get a few more responses.

Pikestaff
January 30th, 2010, 03:40 PM
If you haven't yet tried reconfiguring xorg... the command is:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Which will allow you to tweak your settings a bit. You might want to backup your original xorg.conf first, just in case:

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup