PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Getting Sugar to Run on Ubuntu or in dual boot

rimshot4
January 30th, 2010, 05:34 AM
My son loves the talking computer on Sugar and the interface would be safe for him to use. I think it could be a wonderful learning oppertunity. The thing is I can't get it to work on my main Ubuntu 9.10 box--not even with a live-image USB boot.

I have a 24" 1900x1200 flat-screen monitor. When I start the computer I get Grub, choose my OS, hit enter, and immediately it flips to a blank screen and says "Input out of range." After about fifteen seconds the Ubuntu spash-screen comes up and I'm able to boot normally. This was a minor annoyance, but now I get "Input out of range" when I try to boot of a Sugar live-image USB thumbdrive (the same drive works on my laptop), and I now realize if I leave the DE via alt-cntrl-F1 I get "input out of range" there, too. Yet Gnome works without a hitch.

To work around this I tried to install Sugar as a desktop environment so I could boot into it via the drop-down menu (where you could choose Gnome, KDE, etc.) but whenever I chose Sugar it attempted to load, flashed black for a few seconds, then asked me to log in again. So I uninstalled everything Sugar and came here to ask.

Anyone have any ideas?

rimshot4
February 2nd, 2010, 12:23 AM
I've copied this to the DE forum, so I'm going to mark it solved here, in the interest of reducing open threads. Mods, feel free to delete this copy.

Thanks.