PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 9.10: Hard drive help

ScottinSoCal
January 30th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I have a laptop with an optional HD module (a second hard drive). I had it partitioned as NTFS, as it was my old WinXP hard drive. Using Disk Utility - without really knowing what I was doing - I tried to reformat it. Somehow it now shows an NTFS partition in a Linux Extended partition, both 80 GB. Obviously I've got problems with the drive. I've tried deleting the partitions, but Disk Utility gives me errors. I've tried going to a terminal window and using cfdisk, but it exits with a fatal error, even when I use the -z command line option, which I gather is supposed to tell it to ignore the partition table on the drive. There's nothing physically wrong with the hard drive, it's just got bad data on it. How do I get this stuff out of here, so I can format it as EXT4?

audiomick
January 30th, 2010, 03:22 AM
You are doing this from an Ubuntu install on the machine the drive is in, right?

What do you get from

sudo fdisk -l
the last character is a lower case L, not a figure one

ScottinSoCal
January 30th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Before anybody asks, this is the error I get from Disk Utility when I try to delete the extended partition:

Error erasing: helper exited with exit code 1: In part_del_partition: device_file=/dev/sdb, offset=32256
Entering MS-DOS parser (offset=0, size=80026361856)
MSDOS_MAGIC found
looking at part 0 (offset 32256, size 80023716864, type 0x85)
Entering MS-DOS extended parser (offset=32256, size=80023716864)
readfrom = 32256
MSDOS_MAGIC found
readfrom = 373273722880
lseek failed (Invalid argument)
Exiting MS-DOS extended parser
looking at part 1 (offset 0, size 0, type 0x00)
new part entry
looking at part 2 (offset 0, size 0, type 0x00)
new part entry
looking at part 3 (offset 0, size 0, type 0x00)
new part entry
Exiting MS-DOS parser
MSDOS partition table detected
partition to delete is an extended partition
got it
Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!
ped_disk_new() failed

theozzlives
January 30th, 2010, 03:26 AM
yeah you can, but for permissions sake, I'd say NTFS. Use Gparted off the live CD, or go:

sudo apt-get install gparted
it may show up as partition editor in System > Administration depending on what version of Ubuntu you have.

audiomick
January 30th, 2010, 03:29 AM
yeah you can, but for permissions sake, I'd say NTFS. Use Gparted off the live CD, or go:

sudo apt-get install gparted
it may show up as partition editor in System > Administration depending on what version of Ubuntu you have.

gparted is included on the live CD. Depending on the installation (not live CD) you can install it with the quoted command if it isn't available in
system> administration

ScottinSoCal
January 30th, 2010, 03:38 AM
You're all my heroes!

Bad data deleted, new primary partition created, formatted as EXT4 (it's never going to be used in any computer but this one, so I'm not worried about permissions) and mounted the way I want it.

Thanks all!

Shpongle
January 30th, 2010, 03:41 AM
id use the live cd but make sure you know which partition is the you wanna format

theozzlives
January 30th, 2010, 03:42 AM
You're all my heroes!

Bad data deleted, new primary partition created, formatted as EXT4 (it's never going to be used in any computer but this one, so I'm not worried about permissions) and mounted the way I want it.

Thanks all!

Good Job!

audiomick
January 30th, 2010, 03:42 AM
You're all my heroes!

Thanks all!

That was quick!
Glad it worked.