PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help me choose a video card!

doctorbighands
January 30th, 2010, 02:51 AM
I'm debating between purchasing two different laptops. They each have different, but comparable, video cards. I'd like to know which one will work more seamlessly with Ubuntu before I buy.

Laptop 1: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730

Laptop 2: nVidia GeForce GT 325M

I know which one I prefer based on pure specs, but it's more important to me not to have to fight with it or have it be buggy when I install Ubuntu.

Any insight you can shed will be very appreciated!

nhasian
January 30th, 2010, 02:54 AM
in the past ati has been a little problematic but recently a lot of work has gone into the linux kernel for ati GPUs and it is a lot better supported in 2.6.32+ Personally i've always used nVidia and i've never had a problem.

audiomick
January 30th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I have read here and there that ATI is improving, but as far as I know, nVidia has a better track record.
Mine haven't given me any trouble.

halitech
January 30th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Personally I've never had a problem with ati cards until 9.04 when xorg made changes. I'm still using an ati card (HD4350) with no problems.

Personally, I would check the card specs against the ati driver site and see if its supported.

Most will probably say Nvidia but its person opinion.

audiomick
January 30th, 2010, 03:02 AM
[QUOTE=halitech;8746390
Personally, I would check the card specs against the ati driver site and see if its supported. [/QUOTE]

Actually the best advice, and applies to the nVidia one as well.

drzoo2
January 30th, 2010, 03:08 AM
in the past ati has been a little problematic but recently a lot of work has gone into the linux kernel for ati GPUs and it is a lot better supported in 2.6.32+ Personally i've always used nVidia and i've never had a problem.

I second the Nvidia. Always just worked. That said this is a new card and it won't work out of the box (Enabling the restriced driver). You will have to get the Nvidia binary driver. Unfortunaly, I just looked at their released and beta driver and it doesn't support this yet either. In going with Nvidia you will have to wait a few months until NV binary supports this chip.

z

doctorbighands
January 30th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Personally, I would check the card specs against the ati driver site and see if its supported.

I found this on an Ubuntu docs page: "Radeon HD support is currently limited, but rapidly improving." I don't really know how to check more specifically than that.

You will have to get the Nvidia binary driver. Unfortunaly, I just looked at their released and beta driver and it doesn't support this yet either. In going with Nvidia you will have to wait a few months until NV binary supports this chip.

This tells me I should probably stick to the ATI card. It's the one I prefer anyway, so that works out fine.

halitech
January 30th, 2010, 03:34 AM
that is the opensource drivers. Check here for the ATI driver

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

doctorbighands
January 30th, 2010, 04:04 AM
that is the opensource drivers. Check here for the ATI driver

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

I went to that site, and I can't find a driver for this card for any OS at all! What does THAT mean??

drzoo2
January 30th, 2010, 04:12 AM
I went to that site, and I can't find a driver for this card for any OS at all! What does THAT mean??

The thing about Nvidia is it will be available. I would expect in the next beta release. I can't comment on the ATI as I have never used them and am not familiar with there support.

The nice thing about ATI is their driver is open. If you care about such things.

z

btw, here is a link to the linux NV forums were you can find out more info for yourself
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14

And the driver releases...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122606

doctorbighands
January 30th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Ok, so, if I'm understanding everyone correctly, the bottom line is as follows:

It doesn't really matter.

I'm gathering that, although nVidia has a better track record, both cards are so new that neither one will work OOTB at the moment, and it's likely that (eventually) I wouldn't really have an issue with either one of them.

Is all that basically right, or am I really confused?

djdarrin91
January 30th, 2010, 05:00 AM
I would say nvidia,ive used nvidia card on Ubuntu for quite some time with no real issues. Good luck.

halitech
January 30th, 2010, 02:08 PM

if you looked specifically for 5730, then no it isn't listed. it's under the Radeon 5700 Series

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.43&lang=English

audiomick
January 31st, 2010, 01:55 AM
Ok, so, if I'm understanding everyone correctly, the bottom line is as follows:

It doesn't really matter.

I'm gathering that, although nVidia has a better track record, both cards are so new that neither one will work OOTB at the moment, and it's likely that (eventually) I wouldn't really have an issue with either one of them.

Is all that basically right, or am I really confused?

That's basically right.;)

sinbin
February 14th, 2010, 11:35 PM

I don't believe that the ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5730 is supported by AMD yet. Please see the following website:

http://www.amd.com/uk/products/notebook/graphics/ati-mobility-hd-5700/Pages/hd-5730-specs.aspx

See note 1 which states that driver support is scheduled for release in 2010.

The link on the page for Support and Drivers refers the user to the laptop vendor/manufacturer for drivers.

bgilbert
February 26th, 2010, 04:41 PM
doctorbighands, I'm looking at getting a laptop with the ati card. If you did end up getting one of the laptops, could you please give a quick post with your experience? I'm curious as to how the graphics card worked out for you, it'd also help anyone with searching for similar answers.

Thanks in advance!