PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu CE 9.10 UNR

Anastasis
January 30th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Today I've been working with remastersys to make an Ubuntu CE Netbook Remix. I've been a dedicated user of Christian Edition this past year, but as I now use my Netbook most often I wanted to have a Netbook Remix version available of Christian Edition.

I've worked from the 9.10 Karmic of UNR and have a very basic ISO of an Ubuntu CE UNR. I don't have any idea about how to go about making it available to people who want to try it out, as I am new to this whole process and have never done this before. So if anyone wants to try it or just look at it let me know the basic process of making it available online.

As I said, this is a very basic first step of a workable UNR CE. And I hope that someone will take the idea and really run with it to make Netbook Remix Christian Edition everything that it could be. As for myself, though I don't have a lot of time to work with it, I'll try to keep seeing what I can come up with in my spare time.

Thanks. And if anyone have any good advice, feel free to contribute, as this is a very n00bish project and contribution. And I'll probably have a lot of questions for you in the whole process.

--N.

Anastasis
January 30th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I'm pretty happy this weekend. I've finally been able to get my first LiveCD/DVD of Ubuntu Christian Edition v6 (Karmic) Netbook Remix. It's very preliminary, and I've already seen some things I want to change in the next nuke. But all the basics of what I want are there. I've used Christian Edition this year on another machine and it has worked out great and helped out my transition from XP by leaps and bounds. I'm a Bible Translator by training. That's what I went to university to learn how to do. So all the Bible study tools available on linux and specially packaged in Christian Edition were a true God send to me. So I am a firm supporter of Ubuntu CE, though a n00b at linux in general.

But, for those 50 to 100 people out of 6 billion in the world who might want to try Ubuntu CE Netbook Remix for your Netbooks or Laptops even, I will try to at least get an ISO uploaded somewhere to share with you. From there you can tweak it how you like. Here's a basic work up for what I've got. If you have any suggestions don't hesitate to let me know.

:)

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad313/Archangelos2010/Screenshot-3.png

oneinch
January 30th, 2010, 06:15 PM
sweet, very promising! I use a netbook for my college, it already runs ubuntu on it (The one that Dell ships) But anyway, I will watch this very closely and I am very glad to see a netbook remix.

Anastasis
January 30th, 2010, 10:18 PM
sweet, very promising! I use a netbook for my college, it already runs ubuntu on it (The one that Dell ships) But anyway, I will watch this very closely and I am very glad to see a netbook remix.

Thanks for the encouragement, oneinch. Feel like a fish swimming upstream on all this, but I think it might just work. I need a few more days of tweaks and to be able to find a suitable upload spot to make it available, but I think this bird will fly. And besides, it's basically just a first version. I'm hoping somebody out there who's really good at this stuff sees the idea and takes off with it.

Here's an idea for a wallpaper for CE too. I think I broke every rule for modern wallpaper design that there is. But hey, it's the linux thing to do, right?

;) I'll be back in a few days with an update on what's going on.

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad313/Archangelos2010/ubuntucewallpaper.jpg

oupamster
January 31st, 2010, 06:01 PM
I'm using an aceraspireone, and had I known from the beginning to have waited for the UNR CE iso. and I guess it's not late to convert my UNR (Karmic) to UNR CE version... just can't wait to get a copy. And now I might also convert my churches pc OS's to CE version... looks wonderful. keep up the good work

Digikid
January 31st, 2010, 06:44 PM
Looking forward to this. Is there a Laptop revision?

Anastasis
February 1st, 2010, 05:54 AM
Ok gang. Did some more work this afternoon and got some more stuff installed. I just found out today that I can throw this all together in a repository so people can just to an auto install online, which is what makes Ubuntu ubucool.. I'm still gonna get together a LiveCD ISO though (because I want one! It's what I've been hoping someone would have already done, but no ones gonna do it, so I guess I'll have to.. :( :p)

I need probably the rest of this week to get all this together as I am so n00by. But I am boldly going where no (perhaps a few) n00bs have been before. But I need somebody to help me figure out how to install the custom splash.rle cause I can't figure it out and have been trying for the past two hours! :biggrin: like a n00b..

Anyway, somebody help me..

In the mean time I got some custom sounds set up today, and I'm trying to get together a custom screensaver as my contribution to the Ubuntu CE community. Jerome really started something great with CE, and I really thank everyone who is keeping it alive. But since nobody seems to care about the little guys of the Netbook world anymore, I must trod onward alone. :)

Here's a splash thingy for CE I'm throwing in. It's just an idea, if you don't like it you can change it.

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad313/Archangelos2010/Screenshot-4.png

Megaptera
February 2nd, 2010, 07:02 PM
Hi,
Keep up the good work! I'm too new with Ubuntu to offer any practical help, but I'm really impressed with what's shown here.

Richard

Anastasis
February 3rd, 2010, 08:01 AM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement! :) Got an ISO tonight and hopefully tomorrow afternoon I can put up a repo for those who want to get the deb packages.

This has been quite a learning experience so far. Kind of why I wanted to do it anyway.

Oh, and here's a couple more backgrounds for everyone. But you'll have to resize them probably because their made for netbook size.

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad313/Archangelos2010/karmic-ce-unrcopy.pnghttp://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad313/Archangelos2010/ubuntu-ce-unr-5.jpg

Anastasis
February 3rd, 2010, 09:01 AM
Ok, and just one more thing tonight (because it's late). This is pretty much how I have my setup right now. And if some wonder why I have Hebrew Date installed, all I can say is that that this little applet had been an invaluable tool for me in Bible study, especially researching specific dates in the era before Christ, as this program will go right on through to B.C. dates without any problem as far back as you want to go. Hdate is included because in my opinion, it is one of the must have applets in Linux. Once you start using it in conjunction with Bible study, you'll never be able to live without it again. I stopped using Windows because I couldn't use Hdate any more. It really came down to the fact that Linux simply has better Bible study software for me. So I think it should be included in a Christian study desktop setup.

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad313/Archangelos2010/Screenshot-5.png

stlsaint
February 4th, 2010, 04:31 AM
If you truly think that hdate is a UCE worthy app than start a thread here about it asking for personnel to test and poll for it to be in the default install of UCE on next release and maybe DK will include it!

Anastasis
February 4th, 2010, 07:57 PM
If you truly think that hdate is a UCE worthy app than start a thread here about it asking for personnel to test and poll for it to be in the default install of UCE on next release and maybe DK will include it!

Sounds like a good idea, stlsaint! Didn't think of it. Maybe we can put CE UNR up for a discussion poll too and dk will make up one too! :) I wish he would. I really do appreciate the people who are keeping CE going. And my UNR is really just a prototype of some ideas about what Lucid 10.4 could be. I think I'm gonna change my UNR up a little and replace Dansguardian will Pro Con Latte add on for Firefox. I think Dansguardian is a good parental control for a desktop system, but it is simply too big and unwieldy for a netbook. In my opinioin, ProCon Latte is simpler, has better password security and is harder to override than Dansguardian. In Dansguardian all you have to do is push a button to turn it off. With ProCon Latte you can set a password, lock the about:config, and make it unremovable.

So anyway, I'm still working on it, but I will put up some pics about Hdate and see what people think. Thanks.

--Ana

stlsaint
February 5th, 2010, 03:47 AM
well without going deep into specifics dansguardian can be further protected by making certain processes un-acessible to unauthorized users. Sort of like the idea behind AppArmor. But thats another thread/forum! :D

Anastasis
February 5th, 2010, 04:53 AM
well without going deep into specifics dansguardian can be further protected by making certain processes un-acessible to unauthorized users. Sort of like the idea behind AppArmor. But thats another thread/forum! :D

Well, you're probably right, stl, and I've left Dansguardian on the Netbook Remix for those who want to use it.

OK then. I've got an ISO, and I'm gonna call it finished for now. I'll get it uploaded tonight and ready for people to download this weekend if they want. :D It'll at least give people a working model of an Ubuntu CE UNR to work with if they want to add to it or make modifications.

I think it is a pretty decent attempt for a n00b if I may say so myself. And hopefully this will allow Christians to start taking advantage of Christian Edition on their portables with a Netbook Remix UI.

Here's a preview of the UI. And if you have any suggestions for changes, it's too late now, because I'm uploading it. :D

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad313/Archangelos2010/Screenshot-2-1.png

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad313/Archangelos2010/Screenshot-1-1.png

Anastasis
February 7th, 2010, 09:43 PM
UPDATE: Finding a place to upload this ISO is proving to be a harder ordeal than making the ISO was! :lol: Don't worry I haven't fallen off the wagon yet, and I've got a little site I think will work. Will try again this afternoon.

stlsaint
February 7th, 2010, 09:57 PM
consider using torrents...i may offer some help if you need seeders!

Anastasis
February 7th, 2010, 10:29 PM
consider using torrents...i may offer some help if you need seeders!

Well it's a good idea, stl. The reason I wasn't doing a torrent on it (which actually would take about 5 minutes to accomplish) is because I'm not going to be able to have a dedicated connection to the internet all the time, since I take my netbook everywhere with me in my bag. And I didn't want to put something up that people couldn't download all the time. That's why I'm trying to get it up as an ISO first.

Now here's the thing, when I actually get this uploaded (it is attempting to upload as we speak) all that I ask is that if you use it you also improve on it. I appreciate you offering to seed the torrent saint. But I would also ask that you contribute to Christian Edition Netbook with your own contributions as well so that we can collaborate and really makes the Christiian Editions the best they can be for the Christian community at large. I think almost everyone could offer something useful to Christian Edition even if it is a small improvement. I think constantly rethinking its developement and improvement is the way to go.

Well I'm going to back to it this afternoon and hopefully will emerge with an ISO. :p sometime soon!

stlsaint
February 8th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Well i dont own a netbook so a vm will have to do for testing purposes. But i will gladly test out and look for issues for ya. As for hosting i will look into hosting from my server but its headless so no gui and im not sure about cli torrent clients just yet! :D

Anastasis
February 8th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Well i dont own a netbook so a vm will have to do for testing purposes. But i will gladly test out and look for issues for ya. As for hosting i will look into hosting from my server but its headless so no gui and im not sure about cli torrent clients just yet! :D

Well the upload's at a little over 20% now, so I think it's going to go ahead an go through now. Don't know what the problem was earlier. Too much traffic, maybe? Don't know. Keep you updated.

Anastasis
February 8th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Well ladies and gentlemen, the verdict is in, and I have thrown in the towel of trying to upload an entire ISO. I really did try.

Anyway :) here's a torrent for you, and I'll try to seed it for a while so that people who want to check out the CE UNR can do so. Hope this will help people with Netbooks discovery many of the great Bible study applications that Linux offers on the pristine Ubuntu.

http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=9529978a0da1ee65fc65370598043b2338bde91b

Oh, and another thing, if you put this on a thumb drive, you're going to need UNetbootin. USB Creator won't do the trick.

Enjoy. And God bless.

stlsaint
February 8th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Hey just letting ya know i tried the torrent download but it wouldnt start if you are certain everything is correct on your end than i will look at the rules on my firewall just to double check.

Anastasis
February 8th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Sorry about that saint. Don't think I had my port open. You should be able to grab it now. :)

stlsaint
February 8th, 2010, 10:16 PM
nope still cant! Error says: "There is something wrong with the tracker. Invalid data from tracker".

Well now it has started...(very slowly) im downloading at less than 10Kb/s. But there are two peers one of which is not working...status shows it choked!

Anastasis
February 8th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Boy saint, I don't know. I have 3 peers connected right now who are downloading and the port says its open. Tracker seems to be right on my end. But I'm not very adept at this torrent stuff, so I still may need to fix something here.

Anastasis
February 9th, 2010, 06:40 AM
nope still cant! Error says: "There is something wrong with the tracker. Invalid data from tracker".

Well now it has started...(very slowly) im downloading at less than 10Kb/s. But there are two peers one of which is not working...status shows it choked!

Remember that Patience is a Cardinal Virtue, saint. ;)

However, I adjusted my router a little while ago, so you may get better results now.

stlsaint
February 15th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Sorry bout not updating but i had a family emergency. So i have downloaded the iso and put into vm. Main testing shall began 2mor.

oupamster
May 12th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Anastasis, will you be continuing the UCE edition on Lucid (10.04) or Maaverick (10.10)?

tnx

warroomcbw
May 17th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I am so impressed.....don't know you, but I think I know your heart.

Got a warfare scripture for you.
Psalm 144: 1
Blessed be the LORD my Rock,
Who trains my hands for war,
And my fingers for battle.

Don't be afraid to work "alone"....because you are really doing it with HIM looking over your shoulder....guiding.

Thanks for your work. Can't wait to try it out.

keep the faith.