PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] PLEASE: What are Linux Mint's COMPLETE media secrets?

brucewagner
January 30th, 2010, 12:42 AM
PLEASE - Could someone please give me the definitive answer to this question - I've been trying to get a straight, complete, answer to this question for at least A COUPLE OF YEARS NOW...

With regard to media playback, recording, streaming, and disk playing... What, exactly, precisely, are the differences between Ubuntu ~and~ Linux Mint?

We have terrible fits with media playing... and pulseaudio issues with Ubuntu.

Linix Mint JUST WORKS. It absolutely just works. ..."out of the box."

We WANT to stay with Ubuntu.

If only we could get it to WORK (with regard to media codecs, etc.) as well as Linux Mint.

It's 2010, people.

PLEASE tell me there is an EASY EASY EASY way to get all these codecs installed with ease...

I hear people say, "The only thing you need to do is add the ubuntu-restricted-extras Package and the libdvdcss Library from the Medibuntu repositories."

But......... Is that TRUE???

Is that ALL you have to add...?

And, if so, then WHY does it not work as well as Linux Mint?

That gives me RealPlayer, Quicktime, streaming video from BBC, EVERYTHING?!?!?

It's almost as if Linux Mint's media play stuff is a secret... more of a secret than the secret formula for Coca-Cola...

PLEASE give me a Step by Step guide (that's Accurate, Up-to-Date, and COMPLETE) to make my Ubuntu 9.10 into a Linux Mint (with regard to media play). (I couldn't care less about the aesthetics of Mint - brown, green, orange, blue... a theme changes that.)

What is the secret?

angularsofty
January 30th, 2010, 12:48 AM
If you like Mint, why not use Mint?

Anyway, here's a recent article that covers the basics.

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/linux/articles/23020.aspx

bo_n_tulsa
January 30th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Don't know if this will help you, but I've always followed the directions in this post:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

After doing that I can play any media.

egalvan
January 30th, 2010, 01:54 AM
...I've always followed the directions in this post:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

After doing that I can play any media.

+1
Absolutely

I've used that "HowTo" since Hardy, and I never have a "media" problem.
Music CD, mp3, ogg-vorbis, flac, DVD movie, etc...

Blu-Ray, now that is something else... :)

Shpongle
January 30th, 2010, 03:31 AM
also most of the web stuff is flash based , best getting the adobe one on their website , also follow the above guide,

tgalati4
January 30th, 2010, 05:38 AM
It's not mint, it's Haitian lime juice. That's the secret ingredient in Coke. But yea, Mint works out-of-the-box. Clem knows what he is doing.

steveneddy
January 30th, 2010, 07:35 AM
The multimedia instructions are in the links in my sig - and if you're still using 7.10, you should really upgrade to at least 8.04.

zipperback
March 15th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Linux Mint installs all the required codecs, libraries, and supporting software with their default "Main" installation.

Many of the codecs, proprietary software, and supporting libraries are covered by patents and copyrights which prevent them from being legally included in Ubuntu.

Linux Mint also has a "Universal Edition" which does not include such restricted items.

zipperback
:popcorn: