PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Print using less ink

slonlt
January 29th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Hello there, for a while now I'm trying to configure my printer to use less ink, but there is no option like grey-scale printing or fast printing. So my question is how to spend less ink? (I use canon mp190)

Nkosi
January 29th, 2010, 01:24 PM
One possible option:
- Click on the top left window menu for System-Administration-Printing.
- Select the Printer Options tab.
- Go to "Printout Mode"
- Choose the lowest ink setting available. On my machine, it's "Fastdraft 300dpi...."

Good luck ...

Diane Rooney
January 29th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Im having same problem. No matter which setting I choose for my printer (Brother MFC440CN) it all comes out the same (fine) which is not what I want. Ive downloaded the appropriate drivers and can print documents ok, but have no control over the quality of the print. I dont want to have to return to Windows, but may have to - at least for the purpose of printing.

J V
January 29th, 2010, 03:10 PM
How do you know the quality on linux isn't just better? :P

Mabey it looks fine but is using less ink... Is there any way to check how much ink is being used (without wasting an entire cartridge...)

HarrisonNapper
January 29th, 2010, 03:21 PM
How do you know the quality on linux isn't just better? :P

Mabey it looks fine but is using less ink... Is there any way to check how much ink is being used (without wasting an entire cartridge...)

I would be suspicious of this possibility. Usually less ink will be directly related to less quality since whatever the OS, it's ultimately the file that's passed to the printer.

Have you tried googling your printer model to see if anyone has had success with any particular programs? Keep in mind that lots of hardware vendors like to shaft FLOSS. :D

Diane Rooney
January 29th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Diane Rooney;8743362]I know that the ink quality doesnt vary because Ive tried printing across the range: fast, fast normal, normal, fine, photo, highest, and they all come out the same. Googled the problem, but could find no answer to the problem. Thing is, it works perfectly under Windows, but not under Ubuntu. Pity.

Roger Allott
January 29th, 2010, 04:30 PM
One way of using less black ink is to set one's font colour to yellow.