PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] May have done a dumb thing

Silvertones
January 28th, 2010, 12:46 PM
About 6 weeks ago after first installing Karmic I checked for updates. After the updates I was told to reboot. Upon rebooting I couldn't get beyond the grub prompt. I searched for a solution and found one. It was to DL and replace the corrupt WUBILDR file that resides on C:/ wubildr. I did the DL and replaced it. I was working from Windows at that point. The question arises because I'm not sure were I DL this file from but it fixed the install and everything has been fine. Now I'm a little smarter.
What are the chances, if any, that this WUBILDR file was actually some sort of malware?
Thanks.

arubislander
January 28th, 2010, 02:02 PM
The chances are slight to remote, but not entirely absent. Depends to begin with on where you found the link to the wubiloader... Did you find the solution on this forum, then you're probably ok. Did you find it on some dodgy site offering russian brides? Then you're in trouble.

Silvertones
January 28th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Not sure if it was this site but it seemed OK at the time. Nothing odd at all.Could wubildr be used to hack into my computer. It's a file that lives in windows and really just gets grub going right? I did a full scan with all the crap in Windows and that side of things is fine. I think I wake up in the middle of the night with these things poping into my head. Comes with age.

arubislander
January 28th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Well, then I guess you shouldn't worry then :)

FuturePilot
January 28th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I am not familiar with WUBI but I would assume that it's a type of boot loader. Nothing to be worried about.

Penguinsunite
January 29th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I agree. It shouldn't be a big deal but i would keep an eye on things for a while and make sure nothing else pops up. :p

Silvertones
January 30th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Things are fine and I'm 75% sure it came from this site. It did a search again and it isn't offered anywhere else.