PDA

View Full Version : Howto: Build the BitTorrent client Transmission under Karmic Koala

andrew.46
January 27th, 2010, 11:27 AM
In February 2010 a great new version of Transmission was released. This mini-guide demonstrates how to build this version from source under Karmic Koala. First we need to remove the repository version, which has been split into a few different components (we will be building instead a single package that has the gtk frontend, the cli client, the remote utility and the daemon):

sudo apt-get remove transmission transmission-daemon \
transmission-common transmission-gtk transmission-cli transmission-qt

Don't worry if you don't actually have all of the above packages installed. Next download some compiling tools and dependencies:

sudo apt-get install build-essential automake autoconf checkinstall \
libtool pkg-config libcurl4-openssl-dev intltool libxml2-dev libgtk2.0-dev \
libnotify-dev libglib2.0-dev libgconf2-dev libcanberra-gtk-dev

Next download the source code, open the tarball and compile and install it:

$ cd $HOME
$ wget http://mirrors.m0k.org/transmission/files/transmission-1.92.tar.bz2
$ tar xjvf transmission-1.92.tar.bz2
$ cd transmission-1.92
$ ./configure
$ make
$ sudo checkinstall --pakdir "$HOME/Desktop" --backup=no --deldoc=yes \
--deldesc=yes --delspec=yes --default --pkgversion "1.92"
$ make distclean

And that is it! This gives you the newest version of a great BitTorrent program, perfect for downloading and sharing the latest versions of Ubuntu. Remember: Have Fun!!

Recent Updates to this Guide:

Mar 24th 2010: Updated to Transmission 1.92
Feb 27th 2010: Updated to Transmission 1.91
Feb 20th 2010: Updated to Transmission 1.90
Jan 30th 2010: Updated to Transmission 1.83

smeerbartje
January 29th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Will this also work on the server version without GUI? And if so, what is different?

andrew.46
January 29th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Hi smeerbartje,

Will this also work on the server version without GUI? And if so, what is different?

The command to start the cli version is transmissioncli and its options are well documented in its own man page or by running the following:

andrew@skamandros:~$ transmissioncli --help
Transmission 1.83 (10040) - http://www.transmissionbt.com/
A fast and easy BitTorrent client

Usage: transmission-cli [options] <file|url|magnet>

Options:
-h --help Display this help page and exit
-a --announce <url> Set the new torrent's announce URL
-b --blocklist Enable peer blocklists
-B --no-blocklist Disable peer blocklists
-c --comment <comment> Set the new torrent's comment
-d --downlimit <speed> Set max download speed in KB/s
-D --no-downlimit Don't limit the download speed
-er --encryption-required Encrypt all peer connections
-ep --encryption-preferred Prefer encrypted peer connections
-et --encryption-tolerated Prefer unencrypted peer connections
-f --finish <script> Run a script when the torrent finishes
-g --config-dir <path> Where to find configuration files
-i --info Show torrent details and exit
-m --portmap Enable portmapping via NAT-PMP or UPnP
-M --no-portmap Disable portmapping
-n --new <source> Create a new torrent
-p --port <port> Port for incoming peers (Default: 51413)
-r --private Set the new torrent's 'private' flag
-s --scrape Scrape the torrent and exit
-t --tos <tos> Peer socket TOS (0 to 255, default=0)
-u --uplimit <speed> Set max upload speed in KB/s
-U --no-uplimit Don't limit the upload speed
-v --verify Verify the specified torrent
-w --download-dir <path> Where to save downloaded data

Bear in mind the transmission-cli is not the command, the correct command is transmissioncli. I have submitted a patch (http://trac.transmissionbt.com/attachment/ticket/2836/cli.diff) to correct this.

If you actually mean what is different in this version this can be seen in the changelogs (http://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/Changes).

All the best,

Andrew

andrew.46
January 29th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Updated the guide to Transmission 1.83 which compiles cleanly. Changes in this version noted here (http://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/Changes#version-1.83).

Andrew

Yingy
January 30th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Followed your instructions and it worked like a charm. Thanks for posting clear instructions for a beginner like me.

andrew.46
January 30th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Hi Yingy,

Followed your instructions and it worked like a charm. Thanks for posting clear instructions for a beginner like me.

Excellent news :).

Andrew

smeerbartje
January 30th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Well, I'm almost there. I have compiled the latest version and modified the settings.json file. Now I start transmission as a daemon by typing: 'transmission-daemon' on the console. However, How do I stop the daemon? Not by typing /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon stop... (that's not available)

EDIT 1
An additional question: when I make some changes to the config-file, it get's overwritten the next time I restart the server, why is that?

EDIT 2
Problem solved. It seems that Transmission always saves the logfile on exit. Therefore I had to change the logfile before running Transmission. Cool, I'm happy now!

Alvaro_SG
January 30th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks! Works perfectly! ^_^

andrew.46
January 31st, 2010, 12:56 AM
Hi smeerbartje,

Now I start transmission as a daemon by typing: 'transmission-daemon' on the console. However, How do I stop the daemon? Not by typing /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon stop... (that's not available

I have little experience with running the transmission daemon but I believe the information you are after is on this page:

Scripts/init.d - Transmission
http://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/Scripts/initd

Hopefully this will help?

Andrew

smeerbartje
January 31st, 2010, 11:09 AM
Hi smeerbartje,

I have little experience with running the transmission daemon but I believe the information you are after is on this page:

Scripts/init.d - Transmission
http://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/Scripts/initd

Hopefully this will help?

Andrew

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for!

Longinus00
February 2nd, 2010, 12:29 AM
For checkinstall, you probably want to do something like this.

sudo checkinstall -D --fstrans=yes \
--pkgname=transmission --backup=no --deldoc=yes --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes --default \
--provides=transmission-cli,transmission-daemon,transmission-common,transmission-gtk \
--pkgversion='`grep "LONG_VERSION_STRING" libtransmission/version.h | cut -d"\"" -f2 | cut -d" " -f1`'

smeerbartje
February 2nd, 2010, 08:29 AM
For checkinstall, you probably want to do something like this.

sudo checkinstall -D --fstrans=yes \
--pkgname=transmission --backup=no --deldoc=yes --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes --default \
--provides=transmission-cli,transmission-daemon,transmission-common,transmission-gtk \
--pkgversion='`grep "LONG_VERSION_STRING" libtransmission/version.h | cut -d"\"" -f2 | cut -d" " -f1`'

What is the difference? Andrew.46's solution works fine for me :).

andrew.46
February 2nd, 2010, 10:26 AM
Hi Longinus00,

Thanks for your suggestions. Two small points though:

checkinstall -D

This is given as a default in Ubuntu, have a look in /etc/checkinstallrc, so does not normally need to be given. The other point:

--fstrans=yes

I believe in Karmic Koala this option is still broken and by default, again in /etc/checkinstallrc, this is turned off. The newest version of checkinstall has apparently solved this old problem but I will admit I have not tested this yet.

Thanks for your trouble,

Andrew

leonardo_neo
February 14th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Thanks a lot for this great tutorial.

andrew.46
February 15th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Hi leonardo,

Thanks a lot for this great tutorial.

No problems, glad it has been useful :).

Andrew

prem1er
February 19th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Another successful install this time on 9.04 headless box with Transmission 1.90. One small suggestion being a novice *nix user I had to look up some of the commands I was using before I actually used them on my system (not that I didn't trust it, but just for my knowledge). If you have time you may want to add a brief description before each command. If not no big deal. Thanks again!!

andrew.46
February 19th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Hi prem1er,

Another successful install this time on 9.04 headless box with Transmission 1.90. One small suggestion being a novice *nix user I had to look up some of the commands I was using before I actually used them on my system (not that I didn't trust it, but just for my knowledge). If you have time you may want to add a brief description before each command. If not no big deal. Thanks again!!

Glad the guide has proved helpful to you :). I shall update to 1.90 this weekend, I had not realised that a new version had arrived! When I do this I shall do as you have suggested and add a few explanatory notes...

All the best,

Andrew

prem1er
February 19th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Thanks for getting back to me. I'm playing around with a lot of the new features on here and getting more comfortable with the application. Since 1.8.0 was released, lots of things have changed with the way the application is configured and run. If anyone is interested I would be willing to put together some knowledge base on getting Transmission 1.8.0+ configured on a headless ubuntu server (or for anyone who wants to take advantage of the web interface). If anyone here has yet to upgrade their version of Transmission, I highly suggest using version 1.90 (which works perfectly with andrew.46's tutorial) , as it has a ton of new features and has also fixed bugs that were causing bans on the 1.80 software from many private torrent sites.

andrew.46
February 19th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Hi prem1er,

If anyone is interested I would be willing to put together some knowledge base on getting Transmission 1.8.0+ configured on a headless ubuntu server (or for anyone who wants to take advantage of the web interface).

I for one would be keen to see such information. I am building a headless server shortly and certainly using transmission in this way would be very new to me. BTW you may have noticed a new notification system is now possible for Transmission with support for libappindicator. I have not added this in but looks like the required libraries for Karmic can be found here (https://edge.launchpad.net/~indicator-applet-developers/+archive/indicator-core-ppa). I suspect I will wait for Lucid before experimenting myself and I see that the Lucid repository version (http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/t/transmission/transmission_1.90-0ubuntu1/changelog) will have this support built in.

Andrew

Charybdisz
February 21st, 2010, 01:28 PM
Thank you andrew.46! I followed your guide on Ubuntu 9.10, and it worked perfectly! Now I have the latest version, much appreciated.

andrew.46
February 22nd, 2010, 06:51 AM
Hi Charybdisz,

Thank you andrew.46! I followed your guide on Ubuntu 9.10, and it worked perfectly! Now I have the latest version, much appreciated.

Excellent news, I will have to admit that I am a little surprised at how popular this little guide has become :). Perhaps I will write a Lucid version if Transmission development outstrips the repository version too quickly...

All the best,

Andrew

andrew.46
February 27th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Those Transmission guys never stop, I have updated the guide to cover the release of Transmission 1.9.1 :).

Andrew

Jive Turkey
March 9th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Well, I'm almost there. I have compiled the latest version and modified the settings.json file. Now I start transmission as a daemon by typing: 'transmission-daemon' on the console. However, How do I stop the daemon? Not by typing /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon stop... (that's not available)

EDIT 1
An additional question: when I make some changes to the config-file, it get's overwritten the next time I restart the server, why is that?

EDIT 2
Problem solved. It seems that Transmission always saves the logfile on exit. Therefore I had to change the logfile before running Transmission. Cool, I'm happy now!

I'm having the same issue but I can't seem to find the log file you are talking about. What change did you need to make, and where is this logfile?

For that matter why would they tell us how to configure it using settings.json and then have the app overwrite those settings on every start (without some undocumented hack in some random logfile that isn't in any standard logfile type location)? how does that make any sense?

smeerbartje
March 9th, 2010, 09:16 AM
It's simple: just edit the settings file BEFORE starting transmission-daemon. I'm not sure why the settings are being saved once transmission-daemon is shut down.

By the way, can someone please tell me HOW I stop transmission-daemon?

andrew.46
March 24th, 2010, 03:41 AM
OK so I have updated the guide for Transmission 1.92 and I suspect that will do for my work with this guide as Lucid Lynx is almost upon us. It has been great fun and I hope to see you all using Transmission with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx :).

Andrew

smeerbartje
March 24th, 2010, 08:05 AM
OK so I have updated the guide for Transmission 1.92 and I suspect that will do for my work with this guide as Lucid Lynx is almost upon us. It has been great fun and I hope to see you all using Transmission with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx :).

Andrew

Hi Andrew, really appreciate your work here!

andrew.46
March 24th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Hi smeebartje,

Hi Andrew, really appreciate your work here!

Thanks for those kind words :). Mind you I have just installed Lucid beta 1 and I notice that Transmission is already a little dated there: 1.91. I attach a screenshot and then I must download the Gimp, which is what I usually use for screenshots... I forgot that the default install no longer contains it!

Andrew

Charles Kerr
March 24th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the great work, Andrew!

andrew.46
March 24th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Hi Charles,

Thanks for the great work, Andrew!

And again thanks for those kind words :).

All the best,

Andrew

Sonsum
April 2nd, 2010, 04:19 AM
This guide is great. Does anybody know of a up-to-date transmission ppa so we can automate the updates?

andrew.46
April 2nd, 2010, 09:27 AM
Hi Sonsum,

Perhaps this:

https://launchpad.net/~transmissionbt/+archive/ppa

but I will admit I have not tried this PPA...

All the best,

Andrew

Sonsum
April 5th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Hi Sonsum,

Perhaps this:

https://launchpad.net/~transmissionbt/+archive/ppa

but I will admit I have not tried this PPA...

All the best,

Andrew

Wow. I have no idea how I missed that. Thanks!

andrew.46
April 5th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Hi Sonsum,

Wow. I have no idea how I missed that. Thanks!

My pleasure :). Perhaps you could report back if the PPA has a good quality build?

All the best,

Andrew

Sonsum
April 8th, 2010, 01:08 AM
The PPA seems legit, won't know for sure until a newer version is released though... lol

Jive Turkey
April 25th, 2010, 04:56 AM
I decided to go for the svn approach as detailed at the the projects website. but instead of "make install" I used checkinstall -D and manually filled in the details.

I had to change one line in /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon to reflect the different binary location (change highlighted in red):
#!/bin/sh -e
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: transmission-daemon
# Required-Start: $local_fs $remote_fs $network
# Required-Stop: $local_fs $remote_fs $network
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: Start or stop the transmission-daemon.
### END INIT INFO

NAME=transmission-daemon
DAEMON=/usr/local/bin/$NAME
USER=debian-transmission
# FIXME: no pidfile support; forks, so --make-pidfile doesn't work either
#PIDFILE=/var/run/$NAME.pid
STOP_TIMEOUT=3

export PATH="${PATH:+$PATH:}/sbin"

[ -x $DAEMON ] || exit 0

[ -e /etc/default/$NAME ] && . /etc/default/$NAME

. /lib/lsb/init-functions

start_daemon () {
if [ $ENABLE_DAEMON != 1 ]; then
log_progress_msg "(disabled, see /etc/default/${NAME})"
else
start-stop-daemon --start \
--chuid $USER \
--exec $DAEMON -- $OPTIONS
fi
}

case "$1" in
start)
log_daemon_msg "Starting bittorrent daemon" "$NAME"
start_daemon
log_end_msg 0
;;
stop)
log_daemon_msg "Stopping bittorrent daemon" "$NAME"
start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet \
--exec $DAEMON --retry $STOP_TIMEOUT \
--oknodo
log_end_msg 0
;;
reload)
log_daemon_msg "Reloading bittorrent daemon" "$NAME"
--exec $DAEMON \
--oknodo --signal 1
log_end_msg 0
;;
restart|force-reload)
log_daemon_msg "Restarting bittorrent daemon" "$NAME"
--exec $DAEMON --retry $STOP_TIMEOUT \
--oknodo
start_daemon
log_end_msg 0
;;
*)
echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/$NAME {start|stop|reload|force-reload|restart}"
exit 2
;;
esac

exit 0
Then I had to make the debian-transmission user with:
adduser --system --group --no-create-home --quiet debian-transmission and all appears to be working so I updated rc-d to make sure it runs at boot time (I have yet to test this) with
sudo update-rc.d transmission-daemon defaults
Lastly, it remains unclear to me whether my daemon is gettin its config from which of these directories
~/.config/transmission-daemon/
/etc/transmission-daemon/
/var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/
So I copied the one I edited to suit me to all three locations like so:
sudo service transmission-daemon stop && sudo cp ~/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json && sudo cp ~/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json /var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/settings.json It starts ok on reboot but fails to actually read from the watch directory or write any files even though it can connect to peers, the download directory is owned and writable by debian-transmission, grrrr... my syslog gets these before transmission-daemon gives up and pauses the torrents:
Watching "/moo/torrent/src/" for new .torrent files (daemon.c:456)
Using inotify to watch directory "/moo/torrent/src/" (watch.c:84)
Unable to watch "/moo/torrent/src/": Permission denied (watch.c:90)
--snip--
Couldn't create "/moo/torrent": Permission denied (utils.c:605)
Couldn't create "/moo/torrent/incomplete/The Ghost Of Grand Rapids": Permission denied (fdlimit.c:362)
The Ghost Of Grand Rapids tr_fdFileCheckout failed for "/moo/torrent/incomplete/The Ghost Of Grand Rapids/GhostOfGrandRapids.avi.part": Permission denied (inout.c:134)
Couldn't create "/moo/torrent": Permission denied (utils.c:605)
Couldn't create "/moo/torrent/incomplete/The Ghost Of Grand Rapids": Permission denied (fdlimit.c:362)
The Ghost Of Grand Rapids tr_fdFileCheckout failed for "/moo/torrent/incomplete/The Ghost Of Grand Rapids/GhostOfGrandRapids.avi.part": Permission denied (inout.c:134)

Any ideas guys?

yug23
April 28th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the guide Andrew, very useful, looking forward to installing this on Luicd as well.

I found this guide because the version of Transmission in the Karmic repos was causing my whole samba network to go slow- I have a laptop dualbooting Karmic and WinXP, a headless server running Karmic and a modded xbox running XBMC.

Once I removed the gui from the server and installed cli versions of several programs, the whole network ground almost to a halt. This was of course the opposite of the intention, but I tracked down the culprit: transmission-daemon. So I am trying this new version from the guide to see whether it's any better- unfortunately as I'm writing this it seems to be on a go-slow again - the music I'm streaming is stuttering... any ideas why this might be happening?

Anyway I wanted to respond to the post from Jive Turkey - I can confirm that the daemon gets its settings from
~/.config/transmission-daemon/

I am having a problem though in that the transmission remote gui and web interface refuse to connect to the daemon if it's running as a service (the web interface says 'incorrect username or password' and the remote gui program says that I have not enabled the whitelist when I have).
I have to do 'sudo /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon stop' when the server boots, then start it manually with 'transmission-daemon', then I can connect to the daemon remotely. Again, any clues?

Also I tried to make the download folder for transmission writeable by the debian-transmission user but it says 'Operation not permitted', even when I use sudo.

I know I should probably create a separate thread for each of these issues but I thought as people who have posted here have set this up and might have a similar situation to me, they might be able to provide the answers directly.

Thanks for any help in advance.

snapy
April 30th, 2010, 10:33 PM
thank you very much for this thread!

doccc
May 16th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Great work man!

Next download the source code, open the tarball and compile and install it:

$ cd $HOME
$ wget http://mirrors.m0k.org/transmission/files/transmission-1.92.tar.bz2
$ tar xjvf transmission-1.92.tar.bz2
$ cd transmission-1.92
$ ./configure
$ make
$ sudo checkinstall --pakdir "$HOME/Desktop" --backup=no --deldoc=yes \
--deldesc=yes --delspec=yes --default --pkgversion "1.92"
$ make distclean

And that is it! This gives you the newest version of a great BitTorrent program, perfect for downloading and sharing the latest versions of Ubuntu. Remember: Have Fun!!

I've done everything else up until here,I'm confused about this part can I have detailed instructions of how to please

Thanks,

Doccc

mchlor
June 15th, 2010, 07:50 AM
excellent guide.

s3v3nsins
November 2nd, 2010, 02:52 AM
Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but I would like to know this

1. Does andrew.46's guide make an installation of transmission whereby the GTK frontend connects to the daemon at the default rpc port of 9091 ?

2. Does this installation ensure that even if the GTK front end is closed (not minimized to tray) the daemon will continue to run at the background and download files ?

s3v3nsins
November 13th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Hi andrew.46 can you please respond back to the above query ?

andrew.46
November 18th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Hi s3v3nsins,

Hi andrew.46 can you please respond back to the above query ?

My apologies, I have not really looked at this guide for a while :(. Unfortunately I am not sure of this answer as I no longer run Karmic Koala or Transmission for that matter.

Apologies,

Andrew

nothingspecial
April 7th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Closed and moved to Outdated Tutorials at the authors request.