PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] GIMP starts up and that is about it.

SoFl W
January 24th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Late last year I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10, I also upgraded GRUB about the same time. The past six months life has kept me very busy so I am getting around to asking a lot of questions.

After my upgrade Gimp would start, load a graphic if requested but none of the functions worked. There were no layers listed in the layer window and although I could select a brush, or tool those tools would not work. The program would ask if I wanted to save the changes I made although the graphic remained the same.

I also noticed that SANE would scan but after the lamp returned to the top of the scanner SANE would close never saving or processing the graphic. This happened with preview or a full scan.

I remember searching for answers and thought there were similar problems but I can't seem to find those threads now.

Has anyone else had similar problems with SANE or GIMP? If so how was the problem resolved?

d3v1150m471c
January 24th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Backup your important files and install 9.10 with the desktop.iso live cd.

SoFl W
January 24th, 2010, 01:07 AM
I performed the upgrade with a live CD, I had actually thought about downgrading back to 9.04.
I am using a dual boot with Windows. I will try a reinstall of 9.10 again, but if I remember correctly it didn't offer me the option to over write the ubuntu partition.

SoFl W
January 30th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I found out what the problem was and it was actually two problems. The first problem was my tablet. The tablet is a monoprice.com generic tablet which I believe is made by UC-Logic. With 9.04 it sort of worked but I never got around to tweaking it. After the upgrade to ubuntu 9.10 GIMP didn't do much besides load a graphic, once I disabled the tablet in GIMP, GIMP started working.

Which led to my other problem, the layers never showing up. This was simple enough I went to the "Layers, channels, path" toolbar and selected the correct image at the top. (see attachment) For some reason it was blank, now GIMP works fine.