PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Failed to retrieve share list from server

llawwehttam
January 23rd, 2010, 06:17 PM
I have a share on my home server with all my music in. When I go to a windows PC ( Windows 7) and go to network I can see the share, but when I try to connect in ubuntu by going to places>network>windows network I get the error

Unable to connect
Failed to retrieve share list from server

however when I try the connect to server option and specify the IP address its fine. I have tried this with the firewall disabled with the same results.

I am trying to get my family to use ubuntu and I don't want them to have tp specify an IP address.

Any ideas?

Morbius1
January 23rd, 2010, 06:25 PM
Want the fastest way?

Go to Connect to Server again using the ip address and when Nautilus opens up to that location, Bookmark it. It will show up under "Places" on the left panel on nautilus exactly like a "mapped drive" does in Windows. If you right click that entry you can even change it's name.

llawwehttam
January 23rd, 2010, 06:27 PM
Want the fastest way?

Go to Connect to Server again using the ip address and when Nautilus opens up to that location, Bookmark it. It will show up under "Places" on the left panel on nautilus exactly like a "mapped drive" does in Windows. If you right click that entry you can even change it's name.

I was considering that and it works great but I really want to get the problem fixed properly. This will do great as a temporary fix but its really quite annoying as my sister's windows 7 laptop can see all the shares but none of my ubuntu machines can. I have heard this is a gnome specific bug but I can't test that right now.

Any fixes are appreciated.

Morbius1
January 23rd, 2010, 06:37 PM
What OS is on the server?

llawwehttam
January 23rd, 2010, 06:39 PM
Its just running ubuntu on that server but the problem is not caused by the server. To update the problem I if disable the firewall on the machine I am trying to connect from and it all works. What service / ports should I be allowing in the firewall apart from samba and netbios-scan ?

Morbius1
January 23rd, 2010, 06:44 PM
I don't use a firewall on each machine because I'm behind a router, but if I remember correctly the following ports need to be open:

tcp and udp

If I'm wrong I'm sure to be corrected shortly.:)

llawwehttam
January 23rd, 2010, 06:56 PM
Right that works great and lets me connect but for some reason the folders in networked computers appear empty ( there are things in them).

Any ideas what port is needed for that?

EDIT: used wireshark to find out. I needed 53960 but i still can't mount the share. Guess I just need to allow another port.

Iowan
January 23rd, 2010, 07:22 PM
Have you seen this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169149) How-To for Windows (Samba) sharing problems?

llawwehttam
January 23rd, 2010, 07:27 PM
Have you seen this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169149) How-To for Windows (Samba) sharing problems?

No I hadn't seen that. Thanks a lot --> problem fixed