PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using VDPAU with MPlayer and VLC

perevera
January 23rd, 2010, 03:01 PM
I am trying to take advantage of VDPAU for playing video files with my ASRock ION 330.

As far as I know, MPlayer and VLC both include VDPAU support.

Ok then, I managed to make MPlayer work from the command line:

mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau ./filename.mkv

In this way it plays a 720p content smoothly, with under 10% CPU use. Great!

The problem is when I try to make this permanent, i.e., configuring the files ~/.mplayer/config and ~/.mplayer/gui.conf.

This is what I have in there:

config
======
vo=vdpau,xv,
vc=ffh264vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau,

gui.conf
========
vo_driver = "vdpau"

But still, when I open MPlayer from the menu, no matter what file I try to open it gives this ugly message:

Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.

With regard to VLC, I had no luck, although I am using the latest "1.0.3 Goldeneye" version, I don't know how to make use of VDPAU.

So, please, if anybody has any hint, could he/she share it here with us?

Temüjin
January 23rd, 2010, 05:16 PM
For VLC (doesn't look easy though): http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=53928 Maybe there's a PPA somewhere that has it for you

For Mplayer, double-check your syntax. It looks like you have extra commas on the end of the vo and vc lines.

andrew.46
January 23rd, 2010, 11:24 PM
Hi perevera,

With regard to VLC, I had no luck, although I am using the latest "1.0.3 Goldeneye" version, I don't know how to make use of VDPAU.

It is a small point but the latest version is actually:

andrew@skamandros~$ cvlc --version | head -n 1
VLC media player 1.1.0-git The Luggage
VLC version 1.1.0-git The Luggage (65113f5)

while the latest release version is actually 1.0.4, neither support vdpau. For MPlayer I would suggest you abandon the default gui of GMPlayer, as the MPlayer developers have, and install SMPlayer which should give you no trouble with vdpau.

All the best,

Andrew

perevera
February 9th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Temüjin: No, the commas at the end of the line are alright, I found it somewhere.

Anyway, Andrew, you were right: SMPlayer is the good approach. I had to install it from SVN though, but it does not fit with the latest MPlayer, giving the following error:

/usr/bin/mplayer: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/mplayer: undefined symbol: codec_wav_tags

All this is a mess, but alright, I managed to make it work as I mentioned: SMPlayer from SVN and MPlayer from packages. Of course, as the output driver you need to indicate "vdpau".

Thank you both.