PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] trouble installing an external multidrive

CKMBDavis
January 22nd, 2010, 11:21 PM
My apologies in advance as I'm new to this board. I've recently picked up a Toshiba Portable SuperMulti Drive which states that is compatible with Ubuntu. However, when I try to install LinDVD, it gives me the following message:
Error: Wrong architecture 'lpia'
Any ideas on what this means, or how I may go about getting this external drive to work? Thanks to all in advance.

PRC09
January 22nd, 2010, 11:41 PM
Dont know to much about the lpia stuff but some info here....

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzczOA

CKMBDavis
January 22nd, 2010, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the info, although I'll admit to being quite clueless about what it all meant. Ultimately, I just need to know if that error message means there's no chance I can use that multidrive.
Thanks!

PRC09
January 23rd, 2010, 03:03 AM
What machine are you trying to use this on and which version of Ubuntu?

adam814
January 23rd, 2010, 03:10 AM
My guess is you have a .deb package for LinDVD and it's for the wrong architecture. Post the output of this:

dpkg --print-architecture

The "lpia" architecture is optimized for the Intel Atom and related processors. If it comes down to it you should be able to force the architecture and install an i386 package on an lpia system or vice versa (amd64 won't work).

CKMBDavis
January 23rd, 2010, 03:40 AM
I have Ubuntu 9.10 . The laptop I have is a fairly old Acer Aspire 3680. When I type "dpkg --print-architecture" it says i386. Nothing else. Not sure what other type of info you may need.

PRC09
January 23rd, 2010, 04:17 AM
Does your machine recognise the drive when you try to use it for anything else.Maybe that version of LinDVD is looking for the lpia architecture only.Just a guess on my part.

adam814
January 23rd, 2010, 04:44 AM
Yeah, your install is 32-bit Karmic. The package you're trying to install is for lpia. You could use "dpkg --force-architecture -i <LinDVDpackage>" where <LinDVDpackage> is the file you downloaded to install it, but they most likely also provide an i386 version.

If you're just wanting to watch a DVD you could just install VLC or MPlayer. Both are popular and support almost any media format out there.

CKMBDavis
January 23rd, 2010, 10:30 PM
Yes, I have the VLC player and enjoy it. My main purpose for purchasing the Multidrive was for the DVD burner.

adam814
January 23rd, 2010, 10:47 PM
Isn't LinDVD just another player? If you want burning software why not try Brasero or K3B?

CKMBDavis
January 23rd, 2010, 11:07 PM
I suppose it is, and I certainly feel like a fool! I just assumed that LinDVD was necessary for the multidrive to work -I had yet to actually insert any discs in it. I do have Brasero already installed, so I will give it a whirl later on. Thanks so much "adam814", and "PRC09" for your helpful advice - it is much appreciated!