PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] VLC media player doesn't see files as "media files"

Objekt
January 22nd, 2010, 10:21 PM
I have an NTFS volume on my system which I regularly access from within Ubuntu 9.10, mostly to play the plethora of DVD images (*.iso files) stored there. I use VLC Media Player to watch the content.

For some reason, VLC's file browser only shows a small subset of the files by default. I have to select "All Files" instead of "Media Files" to see all the *.iso's.

What's this about? Since they're all the same type of file, I don't understand why some would be viewed as "media files" but others not. If the files were on a Linux-type filesystem (ext3 etc.) I would guess it had something to do with permissions, but I'm not sure how file ownership & permissions apply to a mounted NTFS volume.

stinger30au
January 22nd, 2010, 10:23 PM
what version of vlc are you running???

click on help

about

Objekt
January 22nd, 2010, 10:25 PM
Wow, I wasn't expecting an answer THAT fast! Thanks. I'll look when I get a chance, later today. I'm not at my Ubuntu 9.10 machine right now.

VLC version 1.0.2.

Objekt
April 14th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I have VLC Media Player 1.0.5 ("Goldeneye"). I still have the problem with not all *.iso files being detected as "media files." I have to set the file type to "All Files" in VLC's browser to truly see everything.

mc4man
April 14th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I see no issue here as far as finding .iso's on an external drive (ntfs

What you could try is this

sudo apt-get install qt4-qtconfig

Then in System -> Preferences -> Qt 4 Settings change the default gui to somethig other than 'default' or 'gtk+' - Cleanlooks works well with vlc.

Your file browser window will be a bit different, see it it works better.

(the default gui - gtk+, does not work perfectly with vlc in karmic and earlier, may be a bit better in lucid though I always change to Cleanlooks and never have any issues w/ vlc

Objekt
April 20th, 2010, 05:35 PM
That worked! Thanks.