PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Adobe Suite related software...

D3mon_Spawn
January 22nd, 2010, 06:48 PM
Hello everyone, I'm currently taking a class in multimedia and require the software tools in the Adobe CS4 Suite. I really don't feel like buying it so I was wondering if there were any open source application out there anyone can recommend for doing the same things as Adobe CS4. Particularly Flash, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, and Illustrator. I am running Ubuntu 9.10 x64-bit.

snowpine
January 22nd, 2010, 07:19 PM
Unfortunately, in my experience, Adobe CS is a must if you want to be a professional in the field, if for no other reason than being able to share files (with 100% compatibility) with other professionals in the field. I run Windows in VirtualBox for exactly this purpose.

I'm subscribed to this thread though in case any of the other readers have suggestions.

ubuntuman001
January 23rd, 2010, 10:38 AM
yup, I'll agree with snowpine there really are no definite alternatives to creative suite 4 in linux, especially if you want to maintain the same level of professionalism and integration that cs4 provides (as unfortunate as that is considering it is proprietary).

there are no alternatives to flash pro in linux, and the alternatives for dreamweaver are decent at best (look up kompozer or nvu)

Photoshop has a pretty decent rival with the gimp, which can do almsot everything ps can do.