PDA

View Full Version : Why do mods close perfectly civil threads?

Parroose
January 22nd, 2010, 02:02 PM
Why do mods close perfectly civil threads?

Look at this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8641416&postcount=86

So it's a mod's prerogative to decide when something is worth discussing any further or not? What's the problem with letting threads die by themselves when NO ONE (not just a particular person happening to be a moderator) thinks it's of no use to debate any longer?

Techsnap
January 22nd, 2010, 02:10 PM
In all fairness yeah sometimes stuff gets closed which may not be worthy of closing but you need to remember that it's not your forum. You're a guest on a free service and if the forum staff want to close threads then so be it.

megamania
January 22nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
Thread closed.

mkendall
January 22nd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Considering that many of the mods are from New Zealand, my guess is that they follow Sir Hillary's adage: Because they can.

unknownPoster
January 22nd, 2010, 03:31 PM
In all fairness yeah sometimes stuff gets closed which may not be worthy of closing but you need to remember that it's not your forum. You're a guest on a free service and if the forum staff want to close threads then so be it.

This is so true. Sometimes the staff has a "big picture" in mind which most average users don't understand.

pmlxuser
January 22nd, 2010, 03:40 PM
THREAD CLOSED!!!!!
Has otential of causing havoc in ubuntu forms.
MODs can not and shall not in their purgatory be questioned in the slightest hint...
You sir are Banned from Ubuntu Forums...

madnessjack
January 22nd, 2010, 03:45 PM
Listen,

That thread was becoming a waste of Internet. The point was made and understood early on. Then, people started irritating each other. It happens. People have to respond to others out of pride and it recurs until someone shuts them up.

Anyway, the mods can do what they like, this isn't a democracy! :P

megamania
January 22nd, 2010, 03:55 PM
Anyway, the mods can do what they like, this isn't a democracy! :P
It's always interesting to see how, in the land of "free as in speech", it's considered so natural and obvious that these forums are not a democracy. [This is not aimed specifically at madnessjack. I've seen lots of such statements over the years]

madnessjack
January 22nd, 2010, 04:02 PM
It's always interesting to see how, in the land of "free as in speech", it's considered so natural and obvious that these forums are not a democracy.
In all seriousness, if something does happen, people can post to the resolution center and mods/admins etc will react.
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123

I can't speak for others, but I'm just being light hearted when I make such comments. I'm sure if the majority had something to say the powers that be will action it.

alphaniner
January 22nd, 2010, 04:05 PM
It's always interesting to see how, in the land of "free as in speech", it's considered so natural and obvious that these forums are not a democracy.

That's strange, it seems to me that most people really don't realize or comprehend this simple fact.

Exodist
January 22nd, 2010, 04:05 PM
In before thread closer! :P

k64
January 22nd, 2010, 04:08 PM
If it's against the Code of Conduct, they are always going to jail it or lock it.

The Code of Conduct can be found here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct

Zoot7
January 22nd, 2010, 04:10 PM
I always maintain if you don't like the way a forum is run by its staff and you've a serious disagreement with how they do things, then don't frequent the forum.
I constantly tell people this on the forum I mod on.

madnessjack
January 22nd, 2010, 04:10 PM
The issue is, is the thread closed in question a "perfectly civil threads"?

I'm my opinion, no.

Bios Element
January 22nd, 2010, 04:13 PM
Complains the person with a single post...hmm...sockpuppet fail.

Perfect Storm
January 22nd, 2010, 04:17 PM
To Parroose

2. Respect the forum staff. We provide a service in our free time to keep the forums running efficiently. We will occasionally ask for input, but in some cases we will not, please respect our decisions. Also, we do edit for content, if you have an issue with our moderation, please open a request in the forum resolution center.

You can read the forum CoC here: http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy
You can also see policy/guidelines the staff use to moderate the forums (Section III - Forum Staff Policies and Expectations).

Thread closed.