PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Music Sorting Puzzle

hydrotemplar
January 22nd, 2010, 08:06 AM
So here's my dilemma.

I DJ for a number of different types of dances, and I've got my music sorted into playlists (well, sort of, it's a bit convoluted at the moment) of all the music I can play for each dance. They overlap quite a bit; one song could be appear in 3 or 4 playlists.

What I would like to do is make this sorting portable. So I can go into a fresh install and based on the music location/metadata/whatever be set up in 10 minutes tops.

I've had several solutions to this over the years, none of which I've been very happy with.
I've copied the music into separate folders and used smart playlists based on path, but that gets to taking up alot of space quickly. This is the mess I've got at the moment.
I've also considered using the genre tag, and putting like t for tango and w for west coast swing, and tw for songs that work for both. This however gets really nasty in both setting up and maintaining (I can put files into playlists and batch edit, but I can't add a string to the end that way, as in difference between > and >>). Though this is still the best idea I have at the moment.

What I'd like to brainstorm is a way to manage this easily. Is there anything that can write and read playlist information in the tags or something? Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks!