PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Amarok file or group permissions?

zami
January 22nd, 2010, 12:27 AM
I think I need help with file permissions, or user groups, with Amarok. Or something else - I don't know!

I installed via sudo apt-get install amarok (and also synaptic, and uninstalled and reinstalled several times, and then tried every other player I could think of, if you must know!),

then when in terminal, launching amarok with "amarok" I get the Amarok splash screen, and the terminal says...

trying to create local folder /home/laura/.kde/share: Permission denied
<unknown program name>(3025)/: Communication problem with "amarok" , it probably crashed.
Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

the "trying to create" bit goes on several hundred lines and includes other directories - all under /home/laura/.kde

Then a dialog box pops-up

amarok-KDialog
Configuration file "/home/laura/.kde/share/config/amarokrc" not writable.
Please contact your system administrator.

kbuildsyscoca4-KDialog
Configuration file "/home/laura/.kde/share/config/kbuildsycoca4rc" not writable.

Then, I get a "Updating System Conf..." box that just resets a progress meter over and over...

Once I close I get a semi-usfull message

Error-Amarok
Amarok could not find any collection plugins. It is possible that Amarok is installed under the wrong prefix, please fix your installation using:
$ cd /path/to/amarok/source-code/
$ su -c "make uninstall"
$ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix` && su -c "make install"
$ kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental
$ amarok
More information can be found in the README file. For further assistance join us at #amarok on irc.freenode.net.

I say ony semi-usful because I don't *have* the source code to apply these instructions too.

Anyhow, it looks like it's a permissions issue anyhow.

What should I do here? Do I need to do something with user groups?

I tried changing the file permissions (ala gksudo nautilus because I can't keep chown and chmod commands straight!) but, it didn't help any.

Amarok runs just fine if I launch it as root but that's no good!

Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Ubuntu 9.10
Amarok from synaptic, version 2:2.2.0

-zami

zami
January 22nd, 2010, 11:46 PM
Further adventures...

I figured, it's messed up already, obviously, so I'd try working from the source like "semi-useful" message suggested

But, from the amarok download page -
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Download
-
the source links are either to "git" (I don't have or want git, and from what I read it's similar to a repository and therefore *not* working with the source code anyhow), or to download KDE.

So! I'm back to totally stumped.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!

-zami

Temüjin
January 23rd, 2010, 05:37 PM
First, make sure you have the xine plugins:

sudo apt-get install libxine1-all-plugins

Next, is laura your user name? You shouldn't be getting permissions denied when trying to write in your home folder. Check permissions:

cd ~/
ls -la .kde

EDIT: For reference, git accesses the source code (usually the latest, unreleased source)

Wintaru
April 7th, 2010, 03:55 PM
First, make sure you have the xine plugins:

sudo apt-get install libxine1-all-plugins

Next, is laura your user name? You shouldn't be getting permissions denied when trying to write in your home folder. Check permissions:

cd ~/
ls -la .kde

EDIT: For reference, git accesses the source code (usually the latest, unreleased source)

I'm having a similar issue, running on karmic I installed Amarok via synaptic, then tried reinstalling via terminal, then tried Amarok 2.3, and when I launch it I get the same "Updating system config" forever and the same error message if I cancel it.

Trying these steps quoted, I get a package not found for libxinel-all-plugins, and when I tried ls -la .kde it get permission denied.

Any suggestions?

fizzyh2o
November 10th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Just had the same problem on a new install of Maverick Meerkat the when I did

ls -al ~/.kde
I got permission denied errors as well. Running

ls -al ~/ | grep .kde
showed that the owner and group of .kde folder is root. Here's the command line code to fix where username is your username

sudo chown -R username ~/.kde
sudo chgrp -R username ~/.kde
chmod 751 ~/.kde
On the next boot of Amarok it worked fine. Thanks for the help and hope this helps a little too.

zcacogp
December 2nd, 2011, 11:33 AM
FizzyH2O - thanks, I know this is an old thread but your post just helped me!

Oli.