PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] forgot my password and my keyboard doesn't work in recovery mode

axima
January 21st, 2010, 06:19 PM
so i forgot my new password. I followed the guide on how to recover the password but in recovery mode my keyboard doesn't work, i have tried a usb and a ps2 keyboard. what is going on? is there a fix? or is there another way to reset my password?

hemimaniac
January 21st, 2010, 06:38 PM
is the keyboard enabled at boot? i know with my bios settings i can disable/enable the kb during bootup

axima
January 21st, 2010, 06:43 PM
i have no idea, i don't care anymore, i did the reset via live cd, god that was a pain in the *** experience

did anyone have the same keyboard problem as me? (just boot into recovery mode and see if your arrow keys work)

FuturePilot
January 21st, 2010, 06:45 PM
i have no idea, i don't care anymore, i did the reset via live cd, god that was a pain in the *** experience

did anyone have the same keyboard problem as me? (just boot into recovery mode and see if your arrow keys work)

It's probably this bug. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mountall/+bug/456806

sisco311
January 21st, 2010, 06:46 PM
Boot a Live CD, mount your root (/) partition.

Option1:

Chroot in your installation

sudo chroot /media/mount-point

replace /media/mount-point with the actual mount point of the root partition.

Change your password:

passwd username

replace username with your login name.

Exit from the chroot and reboot:

exit
sudo reboot

Option2
Edit the /media/mount-point/etc/shadow file.

The line which stores your password should look like this:

username:$6$SALTSALT$encrypted-password:14630:0:99999:7:::

The fields are separated by a colon symbol. The second field(bold) is the encrypted password. Replace it with:

username:$6$lqvrTifX$yf17LLw9hjijR3CyolTYyuolyxMM. ZRP2AUUfyQetlc0LjzKbrturTE/KJDOInmNOMVvoU4ER6U62Ry0.VGAi1:14630:0:99999:7:::
Save the the file and reboot.

Use your login name and the password password to log in. Once you are logged in change your password to a secure one.

Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkENYv7kEhg&

EDIT: d'oh, too late. :)