PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] looking for webcam driver

bloodytiger
January 20th, 2010, 07:30 PM
hi

i have encountered many problems opening my webcam. it is an integrated webcam. its model is ID 05ca:1810 Ricoh Co., Ltd Pavilion Webcam [R5U870]. i have recently installed the r5u870 driver but still cant open it. i also tried many softwares such as cheez and camorama webcam viewer. but nothing happen. plz ubunto experts help out

ps : my laptop is hp dv 6426us with ubunto 9.10 as operating system

lyall
January 21st, 2010, 02:45 AM
hi

i have encountered many problems opening my webcam. it is an integrated webcam. its model is ID 05ca:1810 Ricoh Co., Ltd Pavilion Webcam [R5U870]. i have recently installed the r5u870 driver but still cant open it. i also tried many softwares such as cheez and camorama webcam viewer. but nothing happen. plz ubunto experts help out

ps : my laptop is hp dv 6426us with ubunto 9.10 as operating system

see the following links
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Webcam
and
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/
and scroll down to 4.16 WebCams

hope this helps
it is a place to start looking

good luck and have fun learning

bloodytiger
January 21st, 2010, 07:45 AM
i tried to install easycam but cant be installed it repquires dependency python2.4-glade2
i googled it but couldnt find it

so i tried to install gspca it was installed but couldnt be launched

janthonywj
January 22nd, 2010, 08:07 AM
Hi,

I'm getting frustrated trying to look for an answer to what I think is a simple solution. I can't get my built in webcam or mic to work. I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ140E (upgraded to 4GB Ram).

Every search I do comes up with solutions to older versions of Ubuntu that don't apply anymore. (I think) I'm running 9.10 64-bit.

I assume that if lsusb shows the correct device the driver would be installed correctly? Attached is the screenshot.

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05ca:1837 Ricoh Co., Ltd Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC4 [R5U870]

I don't know why it wouldn't be working. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

hifimusic
February 4th, 2010, 04:59 AM
I have ubuntu 9.10 installed on a Vaio FZ140E and everything works beautifully.

For microphone: you just need to fiddle with the audio settings a bit. the default audio device selected is wrong. change that to the other available option.

For webcam: go to

http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/ricoh-webcam-r5u870-Download-30296.html

and download

Ubuntu DEB i386 (firmware)
[ubuntu_deb] [97.50 KB]

or

Ubuntu DEB amd64 (firmware)
[ubuntu_deb] [97.50 KB]

and install the package

and it should start working.

fishtoprecords
February 4th, 2010, 06:13 AM
For microphone: you just need to fiddle with the audio settings a bit. the default audio device selected is wrong. change that to the other available option.

Thank you @hifimusic. I was having trouble with skype, and changing the audio input device fixed it. I think my laptop was defaulting to the mic-input jack, not my Logitech webcam/mic setup.

no2498
February 6th, 2010, 03:50 AM
janthonywj

open a terminal type ( gstreamer-properties ) click enter
click video try v4l1 or v4l2
click the bottom test button for each

get programs cheese and wxcam 1 of the 2 will see your cam

if gstreamer is not installed install it