PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Pangolin vs Lemur

rgrasell
January 20th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I'm trying to decide on a new laptop, and Ive narrowed it down to these two. The Pangolin obviously offers the better performance for its price. I watch a lot of HD video on my computer, and i was wondering: Do both of the video cards in these computers support decoding of (HD) h.264 video?
And what is the approximate battery life on both machines?

thomasaaron
January 20th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Do both of the video cards in these computers support decoding of (HD) h.264 video?

I'm not sure whether or not h.264 decoding is built into the graphics card, but both will play a number of formats that use h.264 encoding if the proper codecs are installed. I'll have to ask R&D for more info on this.

And what is the approximate battery life on both machines?

Pangolin - We haven't bench-marked this one yet (it's brand new in our line-up), but probably 1.5 to 2 hours.

Lemur - Approximately 4 hours.

rgrasell
January 21st, 2010, 12:51 AM
Thanks for going through the trouble! Please let me know

rgrasell
January 27th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Any new info?

jjacobs2
January 27th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Both of those GPUs offer h264 hardware decoding but the drivers do not yet support it for the intel in the lemur and support was only recently announced for the ATI so I don't know if it works yet. From what I've read Intel wants to have decoding working in their chips by Q2 but there's no guarantee it'll ever happen. I doubt either CPU could decode 1080p on it's own but 720p works fine. Intel support for decoding would probably be open source if they add it while ATI's version requires the use of their proprietary fglrx driver.