PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Embedded pdf viewer (adobe) in firefox has problem viewing pdfs

CUJimmy
January 20th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Hi All,

Since I updated to 9.10, I have had problems viewing pdfs in firefox with the embedded adobe reader. Strangely enough, on starting firefox, I am able able to view one pdf, save it etc. However, within the same firefox session, if I then go on to try and find and view a second pdf, it does not render on the screen. Instead I am left with a blank window. Upon closing firefox and starting again, I am again able to view a single pdf before the problem happens again. Does anyone know why this might be?!

Thanks, Jim

mike-g2
July 2nd, 2010, 08:24 PM
Alas, I have the same problem but no solution other than restarting FF.

I hope someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

Mike

popov74
February 15th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I have the same problem and I have found no solution so far. The only workaround is to install mozplugger, which opens the whole acroread within firefox as if it was a plugin. It looks somehow worse but it works. The only problem is that sometimes it opens acroread externally instead of embedding the application within firefox. Maybe this is related with the problem that makes the native plugin crash.

spottraining
March 11th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I have the same problem. Firefox is able to show only first PDF file. After that - all are blanks pages. It work three days ago norally- what now happens - I don't know.

nnahler
April 8th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Exactly the same problem: Opens the first PDF fine and afterwards shows a blank tab.

I am running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64bit, Firefox 3.6.16, Adobe Reader 9.3

Any help would certainly be appreciated as this is a rather annoying problem.

Thanks

fabio.hipolito
May 6th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Hi there,

The same problem with 11.04 AMD64.
The first always open normally and I have no problem while I keep at least one pdf open in a tab. If I close all tabs then I have problems, every time I try to open a pdf in firefox I get either a black or white tab.

If I look for acroread, I get a zombie process that I cannot kill.

Thanks.

beew
May 6th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Why don't you just use the document viewer (evince) to read embedded pdf? Fast and problem free.

filiatra
May 19th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Same problem here (on ubuntu natty), I have to do a "killall acroread" before being able to reopen embedded pdf normally..

cerberanke
June 10th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Exactly the same problem on AMD64 with 11.04 (also on earlier versions) :(

chaeron
July 21st, 2011, 07:45 PM
Same issue here...still on 64 bit Lucid, with all recent updates, Firefox 4.0.1. Latest Acroread 9.4.2

Had this problem for some time...I suspect it's a 64 bit issue.

Real PITA...has anyone found a solution yet?

prosist
October 13th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Same problem here.
Using Lucid 64

wmccarty
October 18th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Same problem using Lucid 64 as well.

Can we Bump this problem? Where do we send this to Adobe - Firefox - Conical?

beew
October 18th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Install gpdf addon for Firefox, or install mozplugger and use evince as the embedded pdf viewer. Forget about acroread, all it does it slow down your system.

skitheo
November 7th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I'm seeing the same behavior with FF 7.0 (from Mozilla PPA), Acroread 9.4 (from Canonical Partners) on

@ubuntu:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS
Release: 10.04
Codename: lucid

Starting FF from the terminal and loading a PDF from a web site, when clicking the FF "back" button, AcroRead emits hundreds of the following:

(acroread:27288): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handlers_disconnect_matched: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(acroread:27288): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type `(null)' in cast to `GObject'

(acroread:27288): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: instance of invalid non-instantiatable type `(null)'

Then Acroread becomes a zombie process and no further PDF's can be read from within FF.

Looks like it is well documented in bug 571247 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/acroread/+bug/571247)

UPDATE: Workaround: Keep one PDF open in a tab at all times, then acroread will continue to communicate with FF and remain active.

peredur
November 28th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Yeah. Same problem here. Thanks for the workaround. Not ideal, but OK for now.

BTW, I found that when the pdf document fails to display in FF, you can still do File --> Save and save the pdf to view in your viewer of choice. I mention this just as a curiosity rather than as a suggestion.

Cheers

PAE

xadder
February 7th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I'm having the same problem with Ubuntu 11.10, on a 32bit Thinkpad clean install. Has anyone solved this yet? And please, don't tell me to use evince -- I like and use evince too, but prefer acroread as my default. I think that loading pdf's and reading with acrordead should not cause pain for normal users...

Thanks!

xadder
February 20th, 2012, 11:50 AM
bump

dschaller
February 24th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I've had this same issue for a long time (a least a year) and thought it must just be some configuration problem on my end that I couldn't figure out. But I see now that I'm not alone. This is really an annoying problem. Sometimes I can't open anything, other times I can open one, maybe two PDF files and after that just blank screens. Sometimes hitting the page reload button works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it will work correctly, but more often than not it doesn't. I can't figure out why it works or why it doesn't. I'm on 10.04 with Acrobat Reader 9.4.2.

DaBzzz
February 25th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Kill npviewer.bin and reload the pdf. And, if you are experiencing the problem very often, set a global hotkey for killing npviewer ;)
Notice that this might also kill all standalone windows of acroread.

shevek.
February 26th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Same problem, Ubuntu 11.10 x64, Firefox 10.0.2, Adobe Reader 9.4.

Workaround of #19 worked for me, by killing that process, everything works fine... annoying but works. Thanks a lot!

jgehrcke
February 29th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I would like to add myself to this list. Same problem here.

xadder
August 4th, 2012, 09:03 AM
I'm still being plagued by this problem. Did anyone find a good solution to this yet?

I'm running a clean install of 12.04, 32bit.

Why is such a basic combination (firefox+acroread) not working?

Thanks!