PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lets hear it...Best Linux Audio Format?

rob22941
January 19th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Alright, I got a pair of darn nice stereo headphones over the past month and I'd like to maximize their use with the best audio format possible on my Ubuntu computers. I have a pretty extensive music collection but now going from using Itunes, Winamp, Banshee, etc formats seem to be getting pretty extensive. I want to know what the BEST overall quality audio format is. I'm only talking about simple listening, not editing, if it makes a difference.

I don't care what the size of the song comes out to here. If a 5 minute song ends up being 25mb, so be it. And what is your reason behind your choice, short and sweet.

kostkon
January 19th, 2010, 09:26 PM
One and only answer: FLAC.

SuperSonic4
January 19th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Flac, no question

Simian Man
January 19th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Flac obviously.

rob22941
January 19th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Without getting overly technical, what makes flac better then the others? Do you alter or change the bitrate or size of the individual song at all with flac?

SuperSonic4
January 19th, 2010, 09:32 PM
No

Flac is better because it's lossless. It is better than wav because it still compresses the data while being lossless (and flac is free)

rob22941
January 19th, 2010, 09:32 PM
No

Flac is better because it's lossless. It is better than wav because it still compresses the data while being lossless (and flac is free)

To which part?

SuperSonic4
January 19th, 2010, 09:34 PM
To which part?

You've lost me

rob22941
January 19th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Nevermind I was using my email, and my post got here late.

Uncle Spellbinder
January 19th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Flac for true lossless sound, without a doubt. For those who want near perfect cd duplication and want smaller file size, a 320 encoded mp3 simply cannot be beat.

rob22941
January 19th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Flac for true lossless sound, without a doubt. For those who want near perfect cd duplication and want smaller file size, a 320 encoded mp3 simply cannot be beat.

This may be a dumb question but what do yo mean by "True lossless sound"? What would be the difference between lossless sound and "near perfect cd duplication"? A FLAC song can sound better then that from the cd itself?

Uncle Spellbinder
January 19th, 2010, 09:56 PM
This may be a dumb question but what do yo mean by "True lossless sound"? What would be the difference between lossless sound and "near perfect cd duplication"? A FLAC song can sound better then that from the cd itself?

No, Flac is lossless. From what I've heard and read, virtually indistinguishable in sound from the original source. You will lose some quality when ripping to 320 mp3. Or so I'm told.

I did a test about a 6 weeks ago. Ripped a song to Flac and also to 320 mp3. Personally, I could tell no difference between the 2. Which is why I do not bother with Flac.

rob22941
January 19th, 2010, 09:59 PM
No, Flac is lossless. From what I've heard and read, virtually indistinguishable in sound from the original source. You will lose some quality when ripping to 320 mp3. Or so I'm told.

I did a test about a 6 weeks ago. Ripped a song to Flac and also to 320 mp3. Personally, I could tell no difference between the 2. Which is why I do not bother with Flac.

Alrighty

Temüjin
January 20th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I rip to FLAC. If I wanted further compression, I'd encode to .ogg/vorbis with -q8 or so. No reason to mess with mp3 unless you have a device that can't play ogg/vorbis.

linuxfan247
July 16th, 2012, 10:38 PM
I am not sure I am just trying to make video play in my 9.04 juanty jakalope, I know it's not supported/obsolete but, the scientific linux alow me to watch video but, with slow net connection and all the videos in hi-def I am stuck!!!
I would say ogg.

Wild Man
July 17th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Hi, this is an old thread so it has been closed, please start a new thread.
Thanks